The Fred Thread

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
:emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
I'm the antithesis of matching and color-coordinated. Can I be a Fred? :emoji_nerd: (Frederica? Wilma?)

No No.... silly that's a "Doris"

And Fred has changed a bit....

More recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the “Fred” then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15 mph (24 km/h),

For the full details.
https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/

super slim

Zen MBB Master
It is a pretty sad day when your son is correct, and the proud father is wrong about his beaut light weight water bottle system!
He had one look at my PET coke 1.25 L bottle with a PVC tube and bite valve and had a fit!!!
I checked and he is correct
http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2010/10/27/3048695.htm

I will change to the Nalgene 1.4 L bottle with NO BPA BPS, and use a Camelback insulated tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4DK56&linkId=b72b5f8f9cf2005e8a7dd3e87dbc045d
https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Ounc...rd_wg=mSCPJ&psc=1&refRID=KD3GX7D21X67YMMKWRY0
https://www.amazon.com/BBB-bottle-holder-water-Fueltank/dp/B002S3JX7I

https://www.snowys.com.au/crux-insulated-tube

That adds 320 gms to the bike weight, which means its 0.32 kg I have to loose!
Not that I need to????

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I am not sure which definition of "fred" applies to me. My mudguards are cut and wired on. My light bracket is made of random bits of ironmongery from the huge pile I have collected over the years. My pedals are modified with bits from the same source. My speedo is hanging by its wire. I can't get the brake cable or wire for the lights through the holes in the frame. I have made a hook under the seat to keep them in place. The bike looks pretty tatty - rather ride it than clean it.

On the other hand: For Le Tour, substitute Sebring. The bike is not exactly like one used by a famous champion, but it is very similar, and made by the same company. The famous champion? Not Armstrong but Oslund.

Sorry. I am colluding in a hijack of this thread. This is the aero thread. There already is a fred thread.

hurri47

The Giro Air Attack Shield is on clearance at REI for $119.93. Limited colors, especially in size M, where the only choice is this gosh-awful matte white/flame/lime thing.:p But for half off list price...and since I don't have to look at myself...I finally own one. They see me rolling, they fallin' over laughing. :eek:

View attachment 4328

I own a white one, but I get jealous every time I see one in black with red accents. Too bad the Large size is only available at REI in sherbet colors by now.

-Dan

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I own a white one, but I get jealous every time I see one in black with red accents.
I really like the look of the black/red, which would go nicely with the S30. I found a white one somewhere else in my size, but decided it wasn't worth an additional $60.

sherbet colors
:D:D
I don't mind the green or the orange taken alone--my old helmet is neon yellow--but together...not so much. May have to get creative and cover up that green with red or white reflective tape.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I really like the look of the black/red, which would go nicely with the S30. I found a white one somewhere else in my size, but decided it wasn't worth an additional $60.
Finally, I'm a fashionista! I have the black/red one...which means I'm fairly color-coordinated (considering I have red hubs and wheels on my V20). I often ride in a red recumbent jersey. My only apparent out-of-color-scheme pieces are my electric blue Shimano MT-34 shoes...although I have an old pair of neon-yellow ones too.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Finally, I'm a fashionista! I have the black/red one...which means I'm fairly color-coordinated (considering I have red hubs and wheels on my V20). I often ride in a red recumbent jersey. My only apparent out-of-color-scheme pieces are my electric blue Shimano MT-34 shoes...although I have an old pair of neon-yellow ones too.
I'm sort of weird about color coordinating. Stop to think about it, I'm just plain weird.

Oh well!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
No No.... silly that's a "Doris"

And Fred has changed a bit....

More recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the “Fred” then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15 mph (24 km/h),

For the full details.
https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/

I was over on the thread about Larry's new bike and started to say something about this, then realized I was fredjacking that thread.

Several years ago, a new rider joined our riding group. She had a brand new bike that was pretty high zoot at the time; carbon everything, light wheels and really a pretty neat ride. The only thing was, it had flat handlebars. One of our Freds in the group that thought it was necessary to have the latest and greatest equipment as ridden on the tour was explaining to her that "when she got real enthused and got a real bike..." The look on her face was incredible because I'm sure she dropped a pretty coin on that bike. I laughed at Don and told him to look a little closer, beyond the flat handlebar. So, I coined a new term; "racerist".

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'm sort of weird about color coordinating. Stop to think about it, I'm just plain weird.
There is something about the V20 that tickled my design sense...I don't know why. I typically have no sense of color coordination (just ask Miz Diane) and really don't care about what I'm wearing at any given time. When I got the V20, I couldn't go with just black or silver...it begged for some color.

My elder brother calls it "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" (ref Daffy Duck cartoon). I have come very close to adding a decal of Daffy...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Well folks, I guess I must be feeling froggy. For whatever reason, I decided to go ahead and take my fredness and bust it loose on the local bike club today. I'll probably stick with the low and slow group and keep it local, for now. I hope that's not too frustrating, but it's time for some human interaction on the ride. This will be embarrassing if I can't hang with the low and slow group. Oh well.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
As promised, I unleashed my Fredness on the local bike club yesterday morning. This is a club I have ridden with before for many years, so there were a good number of folks that knew me from before. I fairly well hammered to the gathering spot thinking I was running late, forgetting that 8:00 ride time doesn't mean leave just then. It means gather in the parking lot and socialize for 20 minutes, or so, before departing on the ride.

I had intentions of riding with the low and slow group that was doing a local ride, figuring that would probably be about my speed. I got to talking to some of my friends and figured out this would have not been a good idea. The next faster group was doing a ride that I knew I wouldn't be able to do the entire thing, but I could do a good portion of it and turn around at the appropriate time. So, I listened to my friends and my better judgement and headed out with the C group. It was great fun visiting with old friends and making some new. One fellow mentioned several times how cool my bike was and that he'd never seen anything like it. I told him it was old school cool, being 7-8 years old, there were slicker reiterations of it out there.

The C group stayed together fairly well, but at one point, divided into two different groups. There was a lead pack that put a little bit of distance between themselves and the follow pack. Knowing my limitations, I stuck to the back of the follow pack, but as the road turned upwards slightly, I found myself kind of lagging it too much, so I popped up to the front of the follow pack. When we got to the last little uphill leg of the portion I intended to do, I decided to go ahead and throw caution to the wind. I went ahead and rode away from the follow pack and bridged the gap to the lead pack and rode with them for a while.

We made it to where I intended to turn around and they all stopped for a water/potty break. I took off some arm warmers, my beanie and after stowing all the stuff, I bid them farewell and headed for the barn. I got home in pretty good shape with 38 miles and about the same pathetic average I've been carrying. I was OK with it, though, because I know I was lagging it in the group a lot and the hardest parts of my ride were when I was alone and pushing myself.

I felt pretty good about going out with the club. I think I'm still a long way away from where I want to be, but I'm a lot closer than where I was before. I'll be ready to start doing some climbing pretty soon. Then, I'll be ready to go just about anywhere they head.

I also felt pretty good in that well after the ride, later in the day, I got a couple texts from friends talking about how good it was to have me back out with the group.

It was a really good day in the Fred-dom.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Humble Pie

Another opportunity to deal out some fredness on the local bike club today. The weather man promised warm temps, so even though it was only a little over sixty degrees this morning, I left the house with bare arms, bare legs and my Shimano sandals.

The sandals garnered a few comments, as they always do. A few people commented that at least I would have a cooler tan!

The C group ride was supposed to be in the neighborhood of sixty miles, a bit over my head, but I was up for a challenge. So I thought, anyway. There were a couple climbs involved, another thing I haven't tackled much of since coming back. I've ridden the most worrisome climb a million times, years ago, so I had a pretty good idea how to attack it.

We left out of the meeting place and maintained a decent pace... Not fast, but not slow, either. Like last time, I hung out at the back and just enjoyed the ride. I introduced myself to a couple riders I didn't know and just had a nice time. As we approached the climb I was worried about, I looked at it and realized it wasn't near as scary as I remembered. I geared down and actually passed a couple riders on the way up. I made it past the false summit and was still in pretty good shape. My legs were fine, but my lungs started giving out. I just couldn't take in enough air, but I was near enough to the top, it didn't matter.

There were a few more climbs on the route and we covered areas I know I have ridden before, but has developed so much, I found myself lost a few times, until I saw a familiar landmark. Mostly, I had no clue where we were. By the time we got to the trail head of the SART, I was tired, but feeling pretty good. The ride leader gave the crew the green light to ride at their own pace until the next regroup at the bathrooms. I hung on pretty good as they opened it up and arrived at the restrooms right behind the lead pack.

Not long after leaving the restrooms, the bottom fell out of my fitness wagon. I was nearing my high mileage mark, so it could have been partly mental, but for whatever reason, I was losing my steam. The lead pack opened up a gap and I couldn't close it. In fact, the gap only widened. I was alone, far behind the lead pack, yet a fair distance from the two stragglers behind me. I started thinking about tapping out.

I knew I could probably make it home, but I also knew I would be done for the day, if I did. I probably wouldn't get off the couch until time to go to church tomorrow and I had things to do. So, I did what I had to do. I pulled over to the side, called my wife and asked her to meet me at the trail head.... With some protein. She is a keeper. We all regrouped at the trailhead and I informed the ride leader I was tapping out at that point. I had 53 miles in, which is about 12 over my best. We also had climbed more than I had done and we held a pretty good pace a good part of the day. I didn't hang my head. As the afternoon wore on, I realized what a good decision it had been. I think I got a little behind the 8 ball on hydration, maybe. I was drinking all day, but maybe not enough. We hit nearly 80 degrees today, so warmer that usual and working like I was, I think I didn't drink enough. I've been replenishing since I got home.

It was a great day to be a Fred. I saw a pair of Bachettas on the bike path and if that wasn't cool enough, I met a velomobile coming the other direction. That guy was moving, too!

Mark

The Giro Air Attack Shield is on clearance at REI for $119.93. Limited colors, especially in size M, where the only choice is this gosh-awful matte white/flame/lime thing.:p But for half off list price...and since I don't have to look at myself...I finally own one. They see me rolling, they fallin' over laughing. :eek:

View attachment 4328

The helmet is now an extra 25% off until 3/20. Only available in size small which I wear. Brings the cost to 89.94 with free shipping. What a deal.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Got in a second ride this weekend, first time for that in a while. I was also able to meet up and ride with forum member telephd. We did a turnaround ride on the SART trail and had a really good time. Great weekend and I ended up with almost 84 miles, which is really great. Happy, but tired Fred, here.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
So, in the continuing Fred adventures, I rode with the bike club again this weekend. This week, I rode with the slower group because the amount of climbing and mileage was more in line with my current state of fitness than the C group.. The ride leader, whose name just so happened to be Fred, made a few comments about my Silvio.

He told me once that it looked really uncomfortable. I looked at him and told him I was thinking the same thing about his bike. He had stated early in the ride that he climbed slowly (which he did) and so my climbing prowess (or lack thereof) never registered with him. What did register was how fast I got with it on the downhills and in particular, one stretch of long downhill where I rode away from the group. He noticed that. I'm not so sure it was a case of Bikeism, or he just didn't know what to make of me and my strange to him bike. Like most folks, he referred to it as "that thing".

Still, it was a fun ride and I did get to push my heart rate off the charts on a couple climbs. Man, I really have to work on that. I developed a weir creak in the front end when under power, so investigated that. I had one crank arm that wasn't as snug as I like them. I cleaned everything and checked all the fasteners. I'll do a short ride this afternoon and see if I got it.

Mark