The Road to 500 miles in 24hrs

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Dispite my sadist nature I'm not cruel enough to feed them false hope. I find it much more humane to crush dreams with raw truth :rolleyes:. I really think today's ride is going to put me in the hurt zone because they are going to drop me on the long climb and the DH is so twisty I'll probably loose a little more time there ass well. I'm going to have to push the rollers and flats in the second half to catch back up.

I think finding a flat 2-3 mile stretch of road and setting up two strava segments, one in each direction would make for a good testing zone. It'll have real world influences like wind so I could determine a set avg speed and try and hold it during each run. If there's a head wind one way and a tail wind the other I'll pick one speed I can maintain both ways to show the aero benefit of the V in both scenarios. Like any lab test I'd have to collect dozens of samples to discredit any outliers and determine an average. I think just park my truck and tools on one end and ride the DF out and back twice then swap pedals and do the same on the V. I'd have to get in at least 10 out and backs on both bike to find a true avg wattage to compare. I'd also have to keep swapping bikes every lap or so just in case the wind speed or direction changes during the length of the test.

This type of test would give you the difference in wattage needed to avg say 20 mph with a headwind or with a tailwind for each style bike. You'd also be able to compare the two bikes to one another during each direction. Because the test course will be set as a strava segment I can roll into it already at the avg speed and the computer will start and finish collecting the data for each run on its own. Then if I set one of my data fields to display avg lap speed I should have to problem hitting an avg to the tenth of a mph.

I could probably do the same test on a climb but it would need to be steady and done on its own in similar fashion. I can think of one place that could work for the hill test maybe.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Today's ride really showed how unfair the Vendetta is against the DF group. Today I made sure to be at the front at the start of the Friday ride segment and we happened to be heading into a 10mph head/sidewind for the first half. No problems getting the group to draft me for the first part but I was holding back a bit because I wasn't sure how hard the guy behind me was pushing, but he looked to be working his ass off. I'm not sure if the riders are simply unwilling to rotate out of the paceline from the second position or if they can't grasp the concept. Over 3 miles only 4 guys out of 30 riders took a pull behind me which is just too long of a pull in my opinion. After 3 miles of leading the the rider behind me rotated out and the new second place just backed off along side him. They were about 20' back so a eased up enough to not pull away but after 15 seconds I didn't see enough action behind me to warrant me waiting any longer so I went into KOM hunter mode. As soon as I got serious the group quickly faded into the distance of my tiny mirror.

I did my best to keep my effort around 300 watts and the gradual climb was starting to take its toll. The wind was killing my speed and forcing me to drop more gears then I would have liked but I was still going strong. At the end of the first grade it flattens out for a mile or so and as I started to up shift through my gears I could just make out a small group(5-6) rider behind me. They were just barely in sight of my mirror so 50-100 yards back would be my guess. It seemed the faster riders finally got it into gear and planned to use the steep climb ahead to close the gap and hopefully be there to draft me on the ride back to town. After waiting so long to get their shit together I wasn't going to make it easy on them so I pulled away again on the flat and roller leading into the steep climb. Starting up the climb I was already feeling the effort but I pushed on to the top. As I crested the hill I took a look and saw the tiny figures in my mirror out of the saddle trying to close that last 50 or so yards to me. I thought to myself "sorry fellas your too late" as I shifted through the gears maintaining my 300 watts on the slight grade back down to town. That was the last I saw of anyone behind me and I was able to set a new PR for the Friday route by 37seconds over the 16 miles. I think the improved time was even better then it sounds because my old time was on the V but drafting the group the first 10-11 miles V today where I soloed the whole thing. The wind was also hurting on the way out and somehow seemed to still be hurting me part of the way back. One of those days the wind hurts in 3 directions and only helps in one.

After today I'm tempted to Park the V and get back on the DF so I can get a good workout and still ride with other people. I know the fast 6 guys can stay with me if they take the challenge seriously, I just need them to take that step. I'm hoping little by little they'll be tempted to try a bit more.

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer...Uf12YHH0zWBB_7uwUfttUGHwuRBB9W8AYfu4gEH9qSBB8

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I was tempted to make a new road to 500 miles thread but I figured I failed last year so the road has yet to be fully traveled. 2015 ended abruptly Dec 1st with me braking my left wrist and tearing two ligaments related to my thumb. 2016 started out slow with me purchasing a cheap indoor trainer but luckily the Supercross season is in full swing at the end of January. Between Supercross and some old school video games I had plenty to distract me from the boredom of riding indoors. Through Feb & Mar I rebuilt my base from scratch and once I got back onto the open road me speed quickly recovered and then some. I still couldn't ride the mtb so in an attempt to shake the monotony of the boring road routine I started experiment with the V on some extremely hilly rides and then races. This switching to mountainous routes forced me to search out some radical changes to the V's components in both groupset and comfort. At this point the only thing original on the bike is the frame and boom but I can finally say it's both fast and comfortable to ride for up to 13hrs minimum. After winning some 200 mile races and turning the preconceptions of recumbents and mountain races on their head my left hand was finally strong enough to attack the endurance mtb world or so I had planned.

June 1st I broke my right wrist on a mtb ride, totally user error on my part but you must be prepared to pay the price if you want to play hard. I had surgery June 10th and finally this week I got a fancy sweat proof cast for the next 4-6 weeks. So yeah I right back to square one where I was 6 months ago but this time I only spent 3 weeks on my ass instead of 2 months. I got my cast on Tuesday then had a friend come over and help setup the V for indoor trainering and I'm already at 9hrs of exercise this first week. Without supercross to watch I'm relying solely on video games which is even hard this time around because I've had to configure the controls to work with only my left hand which was a struggle at first. I have no idea what the resulting recovery will be like with my right wrist until I get the cast off and start therapy so here's to hoping for a full recovery.

I still have time and I still plan to break 500 mile at this years 24hr World championships but I'll be taking the path less traveled to get there. Stay tuned for further updates as I go.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Ah, so maybe-> "The road to a full recovery". Sorry to hear about the yet another broken wrist. Seems like it would be painfull just to do regular day to day activities, let alone ride a bike.

Well, I'm looking forward to you getting back off your arse, back on the Vendetta, back to stealing victories, and start shattering records intraday of your wrists.

Last edited:

Robert O

I was tempted to make a new road to 500 miles thread but I figured I failed last year so the road has yet to be fully traveled. 2015 ended abruptly Dec 1st with me braking my left wrist and tearing two ligaments related to my thumb. 2016 started out slow with me purchasing a cheap indoor trainer but luckily the Supercross season is in full swing at the end of January. Between Supercross and some old school video games I had plenty to distract me from the boredom of riding indoors. Through Feb & Mar I rebuilt my base from scratch and once I got back onto the open road me speed quickly recovered and then some. I still couldn't ride the mtb so in an attempt to shake the monotony of the boring road routine I started experiment with the V on some extremely hilly rides and then races. This switching to mountainous routes forced me to search out some radical changes to the V's components in both groupset and comfort. At this point the only thing original on the bike is the frame and boom but I can finally say it's both fast and comfortable to ride for up to 13hrs minimum. After winning some 200 mile races and turning the preconceptions of recumbents and mountain races on their head my left hand was finally strong enough to attack the endurance mtb world or so I had planned.

June 1st I broke my right wrist on a mtb ride, totally user error on my part but you must be prepared to pay the price if you want to play hard. I had surgery June 10th and finally this week I got a fancy sweat proof cast for the next 4-6 weeks. So yeah I right back to square one where I was 6 months ago but this time I only spent 3 weeks on my ass instead of 2 months. I got my cast on Tuesday then had a friend come over and help setup the V for indoor trainering and I'm already at 9hrs of exercise this first week. Without supercross to watch I'm relying solely on video games which is even hard this time around because I've had to configure the controls to work with only my left hand which was a struggle at first. I have no idea what the resulting recovery will be like with my right wrist until I get the cast off and start therapy so here's to hoping for a full recovery.

I still have time and I still plan to break 500 mile at this years 24hr World championships but I'll be taking the path less traveled to get there. Stay tuned for further updates as I go.
Bummer. Good to see you working out training alternatives. Keep us posted!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
There's this big boring bike race with old slow road bikes coming up; that's at least 2-3 hours of something watch on the trainer.

Heal fast

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
There's this big boring bike race with old slow road bikes coming up; that's at least 2-3 hours of something watch on the trainer.

Heal fast

:rolleyes: I need something more exciting then what I'm already trying to distract myself from. I doubt anyone here besides myself is a fan of WSBK and the Moto GP series but I just say you missed some serious rain racing last weekend.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I doubt anyone here besides myself is a fan of WSBK and the Moto GP series but I just say you missed some serious rain racing last weekend.

I don't' know that's one of those things when you hit it channel surfing has a high "stick" value. My guess is that most of us just don't know when and where it's broadcast so we only luck into it.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So I got my cast off today and as expected my wrist is very stiff and hurts like hell to try and force beyond its current limited range. Now it's time to start some physical therapy with some ultrasound to help break loose the scaring. For the past 3 weeks I've been averaging about 2hrs a day on the stationary mounted Vendetta so I hope I'm retaining at least some of my performance. I still loath the indoor riding option so this has really been a trying time for me but I gave my word that I'd strive for a goal and I'm not one to go back on my word.

As soon as I got back to the shop after getting the cast removed I started working on a new product for the Vendetta. My right hand may only be at 5% right now but that's infinitely better then it was yesterday and now some simple things are becoming possible again.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Recovery Update

Rode the V for my daily two hours on the trainer today and shifted my RD with my right hand for the first time in 2 months. Also held onto the handlebars with both hands for the first time as well with no pain. It almost feels like I could give the real world a shot this weekend or next weekend at the latest. I also have a Rotor QXL chainring showing up this weekend so I'll start messing around with it's different settings to hopefully find that sweet spot in time for the 24hr.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I also have a Rotor QXL chainring showing up this weekend so I'll start messing around with it's different settings to hopefully find that sweet spot
I'm really looking forward to your initial assessment of it and how the different settings "feel" to you.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Just got done with my first ride outside in two months, oh god is that the sun?:eek:

49 Miles with 2 different groups, yes I totally split off the first group a few mile before finishing because I spotted another group of friend heading the other way at the beginning of their ride. The pace was moderate but honestly nothing compared to my normal pace but I took the opportunity to just hang out and chat with all my friends. Hardest thing to do is pull my bottles from the cage behind my head and manipulate the bottle to drink. I've never been good at riding with only my right hand and right now in its weakened state it's even harder. I can't even muster up 20% of the grip strength needed to use my right hand to pull the bottle so that's out of the question for at least another week. It literally felt like I could ride all day today with zero signs of fatigue or discomfort. I really think the novelty of being outside for the first time in so long with friends played a huge part in my enjoyment of the todays ride. Maybe the month before the 24hr I should look myself inside on the trainer so when I'm finally released outside for race day I'll be all stoked to be outside riding in circles for 24hrs. I happened to spot a Blue Bacchetta just like the one Rob just used on RAMM going the opposite direction as me. I wanted to turn around and act like the Cruzbike ambassador I should be but I had just joined my second group of friends so I opted not to :(

LarryOz

Maybe the month before the 24hr I should look myself inside on the trainer so when I'm finally released outside for race day I'll be all stoked to be outside riding in circles for 24hrs.
Sounds like a great plan Jason!
btw - I actually rode a century on real roads in my area for the first time in a long time. I was alone, so that wasn't too much fun, but I did it, and it was great - and of course better than riding around a velodrome 300 times, or a track 400 times!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Sounds like a great plan Jason!
btw - I actually rode a century on real roads in my area for the first time in a long time. I was alone, so that wasn't too much fun, but I did it, and it was great - and of course better than riding around a velodrome 300 times, or a track 400 times!

step #1 get out side(check)
step #2 find friends who can keep up(TBD)
step #3 share some awesome food and beer with the group(TBD)

LarryOz

step #1 get out side(check)
step #2 find friends who can keep up(TBD)
step #3 share some awesome food and beer with the group(TBD)
Step #2 is the challenge. I average 23.5 yesterday for 100 miles with 5K climbing which means I was hammering hard most of the time.
I came upon quite a few riders, but most where going <18, so most I could do was slow down, say hi, and then take back off.
There is a group ride on Tuesdays that I think I will crash, and see what happens with that. I'll still probably do my "indoor" workout in the morning, so I can treat it more as a social ride and not worry about "getting a workout".

LarryOz

Revised step #2 find friends who you don't mind mind slowing down for
Yep - There's time to slow down and smell the roses, and there's time to put the hammer down!
Variety is the spice of life - and of course it's always good to know you can "put the hammer down!"
Keep healing. :)
Sure wish some of us where not so far away from the others - It would be really cool to have you ride with us the UMCA Century race which is in 3 weeks!
Who knows, maybe I'll show up at Borrego Springs - doubtful, but we'll see!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Yep - There's time to slow down and smell the roses, and there's time to put the hammer down!
Variety is the spice of life - and of course it's always good to know you can "put the hammer down!"
Keep healing. :)
Sure wish some of us where not so far away from the others - It would be really cool to have you ride with us the UMCA Century race which is in 3 weeks!
Who knows, maybe I'll show up at Borrego Springs - doubtful, but we'll see!

You come out to Berrego and I'll do the other one in Flordia

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
49 yesterday and another 75 today with plenty of PRs and KOMs and still feeling like I'm just getting started. I still have a hell of a time grabbing my water bottles and I can only downshift one cog at a time due to limited wrist rotation. Only time my wrist hurts is when I start is too tall of a gear which forces more arm input to keep her steady. At the end of the ride there is no lingering soreness in my wrist which is great but also makes it hard to remember to ice it. It was invigorating to break 50mph on the twitch mobile again for the first time in soo long. I left early this morning to grab a quick 40 or so miles on my own in the cool air before joining the group ride at 8am. I was worried I'd be cutting it close but I was soo quick on my solo loop I made it back to the start of the group ride 15 mins early. I guess I could have hung out and put the Vendetta on display but I had an even better plan. I dashed across town to my favorite donut shop to partake in some devils food with colored sprinkley goodness and still made it back with a few mins to spare. Today's group ride had over 40 riders which whittled down to about 20 and then 10 later on. Although everyone in the group knows me well enough, it was the first time seeing the Vendetta in person for many of them. I got asked those same 5 or so questions you always get asked at least a half dozen ties today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/659961640/overview