The Road to 500 miles in 24hrs

super slim

Zen MBB Master
being in Australia the comments are different!
"did you have a major accident and the mechanics put the bike back together, back to front!"
You look like you are doing a wheely all the time!
Is is harder to ride?
How did you ride this far(200 km) on that!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I get this one more than the others. A guy told me yesterday I needed to put an orange flag on my bike so cars could see me. :eek:

That's like saying it's understandable to run over children because they aren't as tall as adults and sedans. Why don't Ferrari's have to use flags? They are about as tall as a high racer :rolleyes:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That's like saying it's understandable to run over children because they aren't as tall as adults and sedans. Why don't Ferrari's have to use flags? They are about as tall as a high racer :rolleyes:
That's my knew glib response; I'm taller than a Ferrari and my lights are brighter.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I get a lot more "Oh! You're NOT handicapped!?!" comments when I ride the Catrike. Screech to a stop, stand up, walk around..."It's alive!" :eek:
Recumbent bikes/trikes are getting more common around here. I'm noticing fewer and fewer comments.
A few years ago, I was sitting on a picnic table taking a break. This guy came up and really gave my V2/k a full 5 min study...after which, his only comment was: "I just realized that your bike is FWD. How do you steer it?" :confused:
I really wished I had whipped out my phone and told him I have an app for that. Low hanging fruit. :rolleyes: With all the engineers here, people will believe anything tech. related.

Bill K

Guru
My favorite was a year ago when I was riding my yellow Bacchetta and wearing a yellow shirt.
A little girl said "Look Mommy, a banana bike!"
Must have been dinner time (I was riding home from work) and I guess I did look like a banana.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well aside from the knee pain the last two weekends in the Vendetta, I've been absolutely killing it on my one hour lunch rides on the Ridely. I don't really compare numbers much since there's just too many factors but if I compare myself to the group I'be made some big improvements these last few weeks. Pretty soon the group is going to tell me my aero DF is too fast and I'll need to go find something from the 1990's :D.

Fitness wise I feel beyond ready for this race and can't wait for it to arrive. The only black mark on my preparation is this last minute knee pain I've dealt with the last two long rides. With me moving to a new home this weekend and the race only two and half weeks away I just don't have a ton of time to sort out the knee issue. I've tried a few things this week with my pedals and shoes and if I have time I'll try the same 200 mile TT around my house to see if comes back at the 3-4th hour again. I guess I'll bring a few shoe options to Berrego Springs and have them on stand by incase I feel anything starting to form in the knee.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Well aside from the knee pain the last two weekends in the Vendetta, I've been absolutely killing it on my one hour lunch rides on the Ridely.

Well if I had a say and I don't have any at all, it would be stop screwing around on the Ridely. You have a little more than two weeks. Find out what the knee issue is and fix it. Get the V dialed in. You'll be glad you did.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Any signs of pain doesn't show up till 3 hours into a ride and I don't have time during the week for a 4 hour ride so it doesn't matter what I ride during the week. The V feels perfect so there's nothing for me to adjust.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
No everything is marked with silver sharpie. Besides I actually shortened the Ridely today to match the V which has been needed since I first switched from Mtb to road pedals.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
No everything is marked with silver sharpie. Besides I actually shortened the Ridely today to match the V which has been needed since I first switched from Mtb to road pedals.
Have you looked at your right and left power numbers during these latest rides. See if your numbers have changed. All of a sudden mine in 55/45 (during my last long ride this Thursday). (My left calf actually started to cramp up around mile 130, so I had to start paying close attention. 55/45% means my left leg is doing 22% more work than the right. My wife thinks something must have changed. Maybe my back is out of aline and one of my legs is just slighlty shorten than the other to make me off like this. Anyway - that comes to mind - take a look at your Garmin data - and maybe even scrutinize some of the other mountain of data that the pedals give you. The answer might be buried there somewhere.
I wish you all the best Jason (and bummed to not be there too. :( ) - Are you going to do Glimpse (or some other broadcasting method) that will let all of us watch you in "almost" realtime?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I've always been rather well balance with my L vs R always being 50-50 or 49-51. The only thing that's consistently off is my power phase on one leg is a bit longer then the other but that's always there. Today's ride went better I think at least but I had to call it quits earlier then I wanted due to time. I still started to get a pain around the knee but it felt lower on the knee and seems more muscle or tendon related vs the sharp pin point pain I had last week higher on the knee. I did switch back to my specialized shoes which felt solid with a few gobs of Vaseline to keep the ankle chaffing at bay. I wonder if the few sessions on the foam roller or the shoes made the difference. I also just realized I have one more free weekend before the race than I thought so after I finish moving tomorrow that'll lift a huge weight off my mind and I can go back to focusing on the bike again.

206 W
Avg Power

718 W
Max Power

226 W
Max Avg Power (20 min)

51% L / 49% R
L/R Balance

209 W
Normalized Power® (NP®)

Intensity Factor® (IF®)

Training Stress Score®

367 W
FTP Setting

3,177 kJ
Work

Bike Cadence

88 rpm
Avg Cadence

118 rpm
Max Cadence
Cycling Dynamics

309 ° – 120 °
R Power Phase
170 °
L Power Phase Arc Length

169 °
R Power Phase Arc Length
6 ° – 28 °
L Peak Power Phase

356 ° – 28 °
R Peak Power Phase
23 °
L Peak Power Phase Arc Length

31 °

R Peak Power Phase Arc Length

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Sorry Larry but it looks like no glimpse tracking for the 24hr. It's a cool idea but without the other riders on the map with me it seems rather useless other then seeing if I'm on pace to break 500 miles. The other thing is it's got to run on my phone in the background which will eat more battery life. I'm probably already going to have to hand my phone off to charge it once before the finish so I don't need to exasperate that problem.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
No problem Jason.
I'm sure most of the people on the forum would love to follow your progress and cheer for you.
If there is a way for one of your crew to text me lap updates, and or photos, I'll be happy to try and post them up here on the forum.
I know some events post real-time times because their timing systems allow it.
I'll try and get in touch with the race director and see what they are using.
In any event, I am pretty sure we can get some updates from Jim and Kevin before they start.
Good Luck again - and remember Jason, it's not wether you win or lose - it's wether you were able to collect your data!
(The person with the most data really wins!) ;)