Triple front derailler for Sofrider V2

VenRiderGuy

I am changing out the original crankset on my Sofrider V2 for a Sugino compact 152mm with three chain rings. I can see now that the original front derailler isn't going to work without rubbing the chain. There are so many available...can't make a decision. Has anyone (hopefully) already walked this path with some derailler suggestions that have proven successful? Thanks......

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
I've used my clamp-on SRAM X-GEN top-pull front derailleur for many, many trouble-free years.
It's clamped on my Sofrider and it shifts the chain from the 52-tooth big ring to the other two littler-rings
and back with a trusty 99-cent bar-mounted friction shifter.

The key words are,"many, many years."
So, I'm unsure if this long-cage SRAM model is even made anymore.

Look for a derailleur which will handle the spread between the maximum tooth big -mine is a 52-tooth big ring-
and the minimum tooth small -I forget mine- and will clamp onto your front boom AND will adjust for your unique boom angle.

The SRAM X-Gen on my bike does all that it needs to do and continues to serve me well.

Good luck!

VenRiderGuy

MrSteve,

Thank you for your suggestion....much appreciated. I will look into SRAM offerings. My chain ring gear spread is 24/36/50 as I am looking for shorter cranks and more help on some of the hills where I live as opposed to high speed. My Sofrider is a cruiser, not a racer. :cool: