Tune up assistance

sandersonjd

Okay, let me start by saying that I'm fairly decent mechanically, but I'm no bike expert. After owning the Quest 150 for almost 2 years, I decided to take it to my local bike shop for a tune-up. I asked him to make sure that the brakes were working properly, to make sure that the gears were in synch, and to clean it up. Of course, being fascinated by the bike, he did a lot of stuff that I didn't ask him to do. (sigh) For the most part the things he did weren't bad, but I'm having the following issues that I could use some help diagnosing.

First, there seems to be a lot of drag on the peddles. It's harder to move on a flat surface than it used to be, and applying the extra force is throwing off my timing a bit. He said he replaced the bolts on the front hub. I'm wondering if they have been tightened down too much. Is there a particular torque to apply to make sure that this is working properly?

Second, there is a low-level vibration that seems to be transferring through the seat and I'm hearing it (and feeling it) as a low rumble. It's absolutely driving me crazy. He said he tightened the bolts on the shock. Could this be the source? I can't really tell where it originates, but I need to get this fixed or I'm going to end up getting headaches every time that I ride.

thanks for any help you can give me.

jphipps

I've owned a Quest for about three years, got a lot of miles on it and can say that maintenance is required to keep it running properly. The Dual Drive front hub does need to be checked once in a while to make sure it is not out of adjustment, i.e. loose, which will result in some play in the front wheel and can destroy your bearings. My front hub became loose after a couple of years and I tightened the retaining nuts up slightly to take all the play out of the wheel, I have noticed the wheel has slightly more friction and turns a little less easily. Loose bearings can ruin your hubs raceways. Your choice on which option you choose. The mechanical shock that comes with the bike is prone to noise and vibrations, if possible replace with and air shock. I ended up using a Kindshock 150 mm air shock with 30 mm of movement and an adjustment to set the sag properly, so after adjustment it is back to about 120 mm of length as the orginal shock. ( Kindshock A5RR1) . Happy Cruzing

John

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
1) If that's quest with the internal Dual drive; verify you have all 3 of your dual drive gears. If the mechanic turn the pull pin in too far then you won't have your lower easier gears. The shift lever will still move; but the pin will never go in far enough to access the lower gears.

2) sounds like disc break is rubbering. the cable might be going too tight when you climb on and the bike settles on the shocks.