Uh oh...V20 back in stock!

BJ686

A curved slider is on its way, which will help a lot.

Wouldn't a curved slider make it worse, or is the idea that you would install the curved slider upside down? I'd be interested in seeing a picture once you have this installed.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Wouldn't a curved slider make it worse, or is the idea that you would install the curved slider upside down? I'd be interested in seeing a picture once you have this installed.
Yah, upside down. The additional rise is shown at 40mm (~1-1/2"). That should not affect my sight-line. The curve should be the biggest help. It may look goofy but I've always been the guy on a goofy bike anyway. ;) Not sure how it will affect my handlebar position...will have to go thru the 'fitting' process again. o_O

I'm losing about 2-3lbs a week, so hopefully the curved slider will have a limited stint on the bike.

Having ridden a tiller for some years (Optima Baron...praying hamster!), I find it difficult not to design a folding slider (tiller) for this bike. The one on my Baron is a TerraCycle model and works perfectly...I never had a single problem with it and it allows me to sit up easily and quickly. However, the Vendetta bars need to react quite a bit more force, so the design would require some additional strength.

Nah, I'm just going to get thinner. No need to invent anything.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yah, upside down. The additional rise is shown at 40mm (~1-1/2"). That should not affect my sight-line. The curve should be the biggest help. It may look goofy but I've always been the guy on a goofy bike anyway. ;) Not sure how it will affect my handlebar position...will have to go thru the 'fitting' process again. o_O

Curve slider was designed and test to be use in BOTH orientations. So technically it's not upside down; it's just in position 2 of 2 and you'll be the first to have photographic proof....

LOL. I noticed this morning that I have bruises on my belly from leveraging off the boom as I extricate myself from the cockpit. :( I haven't been able to do the Vexit maneuver yet. Even though there is now clearance between myself and the boom (about 1mm. Hey, I can see daylight! :rolleyes:), when I brace for the maneuver, I'm wearing the bike...it doesn't allow me to slide aft, it simply stops with me.
I'll get there, I'm sure. A curved slider is on its way, which will help a lot. Of course, as I loose weight, I'll gain more daylight. When I can get my weight off the seat and still see daylight between belly and boom, I'll be there! :)
Keep up the good work trap. Sounds like you are making progress. Just staying away from the simple carbs and eating more veggies really helped me to lose. Also stay away from any processed foods.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Keep up the good work trap. Sounds like you are making progress. Just staying away from the simple carbs and eating more veggies really helped me to lose. Also stay away from any processed foods.
The program we're on (since Jan 27) is 'low carb, low fat, more exercise'...so, all of the above (veggies, simple carbs, etc.) and we've been pretty much cooking for ourselves for the past 12 weeks. I'm right on the edge of having lost 100lbs. Just another couple of pounds...but it seems like when you get close to a "goal number", it gets really hard to break thru it. o_O

Weigh-in tonight. I think the big 100 will be next week. Program "rewards" you with a fresh EKG every 50lbs lost...wooho0! ;)

1happyreader

zen/child method
Having ridden a tiller for some years (Optima Baron...praying hamster!), I find it difficult not to design a folding slider (tiller) for this bike. The one on my Baron is a TerraCycle model and works perfectly...I never had a single problem with it and it allows me to sit up easily and quickly. However, the Vendetta bars need to react quite a bit more force, so the design would require some additional strength.
Not too long ago we had a "classic didn't learn to ride his vendetta, missed hamster position, chopped bars to tiller width, unable to learn to ride modified bike, sold mutilated bike, declares on forums vendetta is un-ridable flawed design.
Soo glad you are learning the bike first.
Am concerned with your space issues interfering with learning normal riding.
Please consider at least the short term use of a handlebar riser.
later,,, bye

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The program we're on (since Jan 27) is 'low carb, low fat, more exercise'...so, all of the above (veggies, simple carbs, etc.) and we've been pretty much cooking for ourselves for the past 12 weeks. I'm right on the edge of having lost 100lbs. Just another couple of pounds...but it seems like when you get close to a "goal number", it gets really hard to break thru it. o_O

Weigh-in tonight. I think the big 100 will be next week. Program "rewards" you with a fresh EKG every 50lbs lost...wooho0! ;)

This is why I always set my goals so high they are practically out of reach. I may fail 99% of the time but you can bet most of those failures are massive achievements in themselves. So it sounds like you need to reset your goal so you don't reach those final few pounds that are always hardest to lose for awhile more ;)

Good job on the weight loss, I had no idea.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Not too long ago we had a "classic didn't learn to ride his vendetta, missed hamster position, chopped bars to tiller width, unable to learn to ride modified bike, sold mutilated bike, declares on forums vendetta is un-ridable flawed design.
Soo glad you are learning the bike first.
later,,, bye

Marc,

To add to Tim's thoughts. As long and the bikes are un-dampened and not flop-stopped; the tiller looses leverage when in the up position which will be an issue for bike control at a stand still; and the loss in stiffness is still an issue as well. You don't really roll to a stop on a vendetta and put your feet down. Its simply more practical when you need to stop to be out of the cockpit and sitting on the back of the seat with both feet down. The un-mounting maneuver is not hard even with an Aero belly (been there got the stretched t-shirt). The trick is making the cockpit the right size so that you can snuggly pilot the bike and still entry and exit the cockpit without the aid of grease :)

Ok so hopefully you see the humor in all that; I find your weight loss journey fascinating and informative. To do the dismounts easily 3-4 inches clearance needs to exist between the boom and the belly. tighter is asking for various problems and surprises.

At the retreat it was obvious who had ridden vendetta a lot because they all pop right up onto the seat in the same fashion. Sans Larry of course, because he never stops so he never has occasion to practice. I have been thinking I should make a video similar to Hardy's glide and slide video so that new riders can have it as a skill to learn with visual aids. I had to teach it to my daughter who just this week graduated from Q559 to Silvio.

So the future of the "front end" setup might some day make a tiller practical; today however my opinion is reign in the engineer on that one and focus on getting 3-8 inches of boom to belly clearance. ... Then that day you have to cut your steam or use a curved slider w can all celebrate that dietary achievement.

Meanwhile I'll see if we can craft a video of what I'm talking about versus typing up 1000 words.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
later,,, bye
Yah, the curved slider should help me a lot (position 2 of 2). I'm riding fine...getting out is just a tad on the uncomfortable side. That will change!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
This is why I always set my goals so high they are practically out of reach. I may fail 99% of the time but you can bet most of those failures are massive achievements in themselves. So it sounds like you need to reset your goal so you don't reach those final few pounds that are always hardest to lose for awhile more ;)

I absolutely agree with your thinking. However, it is very difficult to keep from thinking about those intermediate milestones, esp. something with a strong number like "100". I have quite a ways to go to get to my ultimate goal (<200)...I'm hoping for January/Feb. Besides, the V20 is my reward for taking off that first 100lbs. I'm anxious to actually have earned it. ;)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Marc,

To add to Tim's thoughts. As long and the bikes are un-dampened and not flop-stopped; the tiller looses leverage when in the up position which will be an issue for bike control at a stand still; and the loss in stiffness is still an issue as well.

LOL. The tiller concept is just a thought-experiment at the moment. I hadn't thought about handling with the tiller in the 'up' position...really shouldn't be an issue. The Baron was initially a handful with the tiller 'up', one needs to be mindful about keeping the front wheel straight and at least one brake on...otherwise you go down in a tangle (BTDT). I think a flop-stop would be in order.

Ok so hopefully you see the humor in all that; I find your weight loss journey fascinating and informative. To do the dismounts easily 3-4 inches clearance needs to exist between the boom and the belly. tighter is asking for various problems and surprises.

Yes, if I couldn't laugh at myself I'd be a problem child. :confused: I had speculated that I needed a couple of inches. The curved slider probably won't let me do the Vexit...but it will likely keep me from being bruised quite so much. :)

So the future of the "front end" setup might some day make a tiller practical; today however my opinion is reign in the engineer on that one and focus on getting 3-8 inches of boom to belly clearance. ... Then that day you have to cut your steam or use a curved slider w can all celebrate that dietary achievement.

I've been thinking about when I can slam that stem...might have to go to a 'standard' chainstay then. Right now, the boom is just 1/4 bubble off of 'level'. If I slam the stem, the boom will be tilted towards the cockpit. In my mind's eye, that looks wonky.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Is it cool enough in Alabama to wear a discreet corset, or a strong motor bike kidney belt, to reduce the aero belly, and temporarily increase the clearance, until you don't need it?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Is it cool enough in Alabama to wear a discreet corset, or a strong motor bike kidney belt, to reduce the aero belly, and temporarily increase the clearance, until you don't need it?
"cool enough" LOL. Today it was 32C. (and quite high humidity, so it felt like 40C). August is our hot month, we'll see days/weeks well over 38C. No corset for this duck!

I wore a 'weight loss' belt for about 6wks back in the 1980's. It was basically a bit of rubber mat with some velcro to wrap around your middle. It was supposed to make your belly sweat (which it certainly did) and melt the fat away. One of the ladies at work suggested I try it...didn't work as advertised but it did make me look slimmer. Only problem was that I couldn't breathe properly... Sort of need that on the V20. :D

PeteClark

I started with the straight slider, got stomach bruises, installed a curved slider in position 2/2, started a low carb diet (thanks to this forum), lost some belly, reinstalled the straight slider, lost more belly. But I still roll to a stop and put a foot down. May be time to try some Vendetta acrobatics.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I started with the straight slider, got stomach bruises, installed a curved slider in position 2/2, started a low carb diet (thanks to this forum), lost some belly, reinstalled the straight slider, lost more belly. But I still roll to a stop and put a foot down. May be time to try some Vendetta acrobatics.
There ya go. I'm on the right track...just need a package from Mr. Holler.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
August is our hot month
Same here. I'm about 200 miles south of you. It was 96F (35.5C) yesterday at 6 p.m. for the Tuesday-night 20-mile group ride, with a heat index of 107F (42C), and unpleasantly humid. At least five of the 40-50 riders developed heat exhaustion within an hour.

BJ686

Yah, the curved slider should help me a lot (position 2 of 2). I'm riding fine...getting out is just a tad on the uncomfortable side. That will change!

One idea would be to add a stem riser. If this raises the handlebars too high, you could add your curved slider in the "down" position (position 1) to get the handlebars at a more reasonable position (and hopefully better than it is now).

Jeremy S

Dude
Another idea to open up the cockpit would be to use a medium chainstay instead of the large (of course this would lower the BB).