Upgrading models to Sofrider V2

telephd

Guru
resurrecting an old thread. looking to upgrade a Freerider 1.0 to double chainring. The link above is apparently dead. Anyone have instructions and part list?

telephd

Guru
Thanks Charles. Im looking for info on installing a FD on the Freerider. I may use your technique if I add a triple to our Softrider.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Im looking for info on installing a FD on the Freerider. .

If you also have a Sofrider you know it uses a :
pulley to change pull direction
cable stop on the boom.
chain spotters are nice.( sram clamp includes one)
braze on derailleur and a clamp on derailleur hanger on the boom like these.
On my silver Sofrider it was a Size: 34.9 YMMV
,, go measure !!
upload_2015-8-7_10-16-0.png upload_2015-8-7_10-11-51.png upload_2015-8-7_10-22-5.png upload_2015-8-7_9-58-57.png upload_2015-8-7_9-49-55.png

All of these should be available as a clamp on variety .

If you have any more specific questions , there are lots people with wrenching experience lurking around here.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
If you also have a Sofrider you know it uses a :
pulley to change pull direction
cable stop on the boom.
chain spotters are nice.( sram clamp includes one)
braze on derailleur and a clamp on derailleur hanger on the boom like these.
On my silver Sofrider it was a Size: 34.9 YMMV
,, go measure !!
View attachment 931 View attachment 930 View attachment 932 View attachment 929 View attachment 928

All of these should be available as a clamp on variety .

If you have any more specific questions , there are lots people with wrenching experience lurking around here.

Pretty much any 34.9 mm front derailleur should work (I've added one to my Cruzigami Mantis). You can use a top pull front derailleur if you don't want to use the pulley to change pull direction. I'm a big fan of chain spotters.

After mounting the derailleur, add the shifter of your choice and you should be good to go.

telephd

Guru
Thanks Charles and Tim! Took the freerider out for a 20 mile spin this afternoon and liked it but boy is it slow with those 1.95 tires with 40 lbs in em. Ill look at the upgrade if my wife cottons to it.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Thanks Charles and Tim! Took the freerider out for a 20 mile spin this afternoon and liked it but boy is it slow with those 1.95 tires with 40 lbs in em. Ill look at the upgrade if my wife cottons to it.

I've got 100 PSI Kojaks on mine and it rolls quite nicely. :D