V20, ok for a short guy with short legs?

leew

I am short, 68 inches tall and 39" X-seam. I used to ride a Bachetta (26" wheels) however I sold it as reaching the ground when stopped was troublesome. I am considering a V20 however I was wondering how easy it would be for me to ride it and also got my foot down at a stop due to my short legs. Any other short riders willing to share their experiences?

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I know a V20 pilot in the 66"-67" range, with x-seam around 41", and he seems to do fine. I've test-ridden his V20. I'm 65", x-seam 40.5", inseam 30.5". I had no problem getting my feet down. The seat on my S30 is actually a tad higher, maybe half an inch.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I am short, 68 inches tall and 39" X-seam. I used to ride a Bachetta (26" wheels) however I sold it as reaching the ground when stopped was troublesome. I am considering a V20 however I was wondering how easy it would be for me to ride it and also got my foot down at a stop due to my short legs. Any other short riders willing to share their experiences?
As most people love to mention my "shortness" - (It has been vastly over-shortened by some to "gnome" stature), but in all truth - I am 5'7" on my "tall" days! haha - and the Vendetta with the basic chainstay is about as a perfect fit as you would want. You will be much more areo than those that are 5'10 and up. It will fit you like a glove once you get dialed in. You will be "one with the machine". Be prepared to ride shorter cranks if you already don't.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
As mentioned above by castlerobber (Betsy I'm only 5' 5.75"....I seem to be shrinking lol) but with a 41.5" ex-seam, and the standard chainstay V20 fits me just fine. In fact, at your height, you'll fit the bike better than I do because your shorter ex-seam will make it easier to get adequate leg clearance, while your longer torso will allow you to fit the seat/headrest better than I do.

For reference, I used a formula for determining crank length on a recumbent based on leg length as well as upper/lower leg length ratio, and I ride a 145mm crank quite happily, even though the formula recommended a 140. But I got a stock 145 from Cobb and didn't fool with sending cranks off to get cut down. Pure laziness on my part. As Larry implies, shorter cranks are great on a 'bent, especially on Vendetta's and Silvio's, as they help you get set up to avoid bumping your knees on the handlebars while pedaling.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
ps @leew I used to ride a Bacchetta too, albeit with 700c wheels. Even with 26" wheels I think reaching the ground at stops would have been troublesome. On the Vendetta, as on the Silvio, I have room to spare in that regard.

Robert O

I'm a whole 5' 5", 39.5" x-seam. I've got a 2015 V20, standard chainstays, curved slider, 165cm cranks, Ventisit comfort pad. Getting a leg down is no sweat, and the pedal reach is fine. I did section out about 1" of the neckrest frame to better fit.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I was 5'-7" or so when I had hair. A bit shorter now with about a 29" inseam and as you can see I have both feet flat with a good bit of knee bend. The tricky part for gnomes like Larry and me is probably getting the head rest right.

IMG_2159 by Eric, on Flickr

-Eric

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I was 5'-7" or so when I had hair. A bit shorter now with about a 29" inseam and as you can see I have both feet flat with a good bit of knee bend. The tricky part for gnomes like Larry and me is probably getting the head rest right.

IMG_2159 by Eric, on Flickr

-Eric
Eric, does that mean you are a MINY Gnome?