V20 vs. S40 for casual riding

Luis Rives

I have owned Softrider for two years and having been convinced on the Cruzbike concept and advantage, ready to move up to a more sophisticated ride. My riding is exclusively on a paved rail trail currently 15 miles long and slated to be extended to 24 miles in one direction by the end of 2018. Sometimes I like to take my time and / or ride as fast as I can which in the Softrider has been about 20mph. To me the V20 is like the P-51 Mustang in that they both look fast standing still (which they are once they get moving). The thought of riding fast on the V20 is rail trail is totally thrilling. On the other hand, I have read about the superior climbing abilities of the S40 and while the rail trail is not that steep (railroad grades are inherently limited in how steep they can be) there is some slope to it. I would like to hear from riders using the V20 exclusively for casual riding, not competitive riding, regardless of the speed and how suitable it might be for this purpose.

Luis Rives

Tr, thanks for your excellent points. Tire selection, just like in my DF titanium bike that I have ridden on the rail trail, would be exclusively 700x23, You have a very good point on the recline as the S40 is more conducive to bringing the upper body into play, just like the Softrider, when going uphill. In an ideal world the S40 would have adjustable recline, but such is not the case. If I was to get the S40 and want still more, I would sell the S40 for the money going to the V20 (which is what I am going to do with the Softrider).

Frank Costantini

I was also torn between the V20 and the S40. In the end, since I think it unlikely that I”ll get into racing, I ordered the S40. Now waiting for it to arrive!

Luis Rives

I wish that there were better color options on the S40, something like the options on the V20. The color options on the S40 are pathetic.

Bill K

Guru
I dont race and I have been riding the V20 for almost two years. Most of my miles are commuting to work, 30 miles each way and most of it on a mostly flat MUP with a 15 mph speed limit (but I usually cruz at 17-20 mph).
A few months back I bought a T50 which I think is somewhat similar to a softrider. I find that I have a strong preference for the V20. It is 10# lighter and the extra speed is quite addictive.
The V20 will take a bit more creativity to carry your gear and tire sizes are limited (unless you go with 26" or 650b wheels with disk brakes).
On the practical side, I agree that the S40 sounds like a better fit, but if you like to occasionally give in to a competitive streak and chase down the riders in front of you or hold off fast riders behind you the V20 is the way to go.
If you are exclusively riding rails-to-trails (with a max grade of less than 2%) then I doubt you would notice a climbing speed difference between the V20 and S40. But then if you like to smell the roses and view the scenery the S40 seat angle is better for that.
Two years ago I had to decide between buying an S30 or a V20. Tough decision but I think I am happier with the V20 (and only because I like to occasionally chase down the rider in front of me!).

Does anyone know the watt difference between the two bikes? I imagine not much at 15 mph, but significant at 20.

telephd

Guru
My wife and I have ridden 100s of miles of Rails to Trails in numerous states. The vast majority of mine have been on our Softrider with 1.5' tires that have some tread. I consider the Softrider a great tool for RtT and would imagine the S40 an improvement though I might miss the suspension. I could not imagine riding a V20 on the cinder trails that we have encountered because it would be too reclined. I would consider either my V1 or V2 S30 with 28mm tires or 650s with disc brakes. Either of those bikes would allow the pursuit burst of speed and upgrade the Softrider.

Luis Rives

Telephd, the RtoT that I ride, as I mentioned in my first post, is completely asphalt paved for its present 15 mile length and once its finished at 24 miles it will be fully paved. I have ridden my DF titanium bike with 700x23 tires with no problem whatsoever.