Vendetta with fork from S40

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Has anyone tested compatility of V20 with S40 fork? @Robert Holler Will it work together?
I am interrested in this combo because there in onle few mm between V20 fork crown and my 28 mm tires and little more between tire and frame. I would like to have some more solid mudguard than Crud Road Racer MK2 modified with hot air gun and/or fatter tires.

Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
And do You think that change in geometry would be a problem?
My guess is that the S40 fork is taller because it supports bigger tires. Hence, I suspect, it will tilt the V20 backwards slightly making the headtube angle slack probably from 73 or 74 deg to about 70 or 71 degrees. At the same time, it will recline the seat angle further probably to 18 degrees or so.

It may still be ride-able but may feel slightly different until you adapt to it.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
My guess is that the S40 fork is taller because it supports bigger tires. Hence, I suspect, it will tilt the V20 backwards slightly making the headtube angle slack probably from 73 or 74 deg to about 70 or 71 degrees. At the same time, it will recline the seat angle further probably to 18 degrees or so.

It may still be ride-able but may feel slightly different until you adapt to it.
Change in geometry is obvious. My question is how much does it affect handling. I don't have experience with changes in head angle on any bike.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Change in geometry is obvious. My question is how much does it affect handling. I don't have experience with changes in head angle on any bike.
Do you have access to different wheel sizes?

You can test by putting a larger wheel infront (700x28c) and smaller one behind say (700x23c or 650B)and see how that feels. Just thinking ....

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
The fork crown-to-axle distance is only about 10 mm longer on the S40 than the V20. So the change in geometry will not be very much.
I have swapped the boom and the chainstay between these two models to save $$ on ETap parts, but I have not actually swapped the forks, so I don't know exactly what the change in head tube angle will be.
I have experimented (and raced) with my V18 Ninja adapters which lowers the head tube angle considerably and I found no noticeable difference in handling.
I predict that some people will want to swap forks between these two models and it will work just fine. BTW, the biggest 700c tire I can fit in the S40 fork is a Schwalbe G-ONE 38 mm. The rear S40 fork will take a 40 mm.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
The fork crown-to-axle distance is only about 10 mm longer on the S40 than the V20. So the change in geometry will not be very much.
I have swapped the boom and the chainstay between these two models to save $$ on ETap parts, but I have not actually swapped the forks, so I don't know exactly what the change in head tube angle will be.
I have experimented (and raced) with my V18 Ninja adapters which lowers the head tube angle considerably and I found no noticeable difference in handling.
I predict that some people will want to swap forks between these two models and it will work just fine. BTW, the biggest 700c tire I can fit in the S40 fork is a Schwalbe G-ONE 38 mm. The rear S40 fork will take a 40 mm.
Thank You, Jim, for good news. Now I have more options what I can consider in case I will modify my V20. What would be price of S40 fork?

Balor

Zen MBB Master
And do You think that change in geometry would be a problem?

According to 'French' school of MBB it will make it better :). If you find high-speed steering bit too twitchy, it will - a bit. Slow speed will suffer - a bit.
What can be really problematic is rising front end *possibly* obscuring your vision (not likely, though).