Visibility Flags

Jeffrey Ritter

Will being doing a lot of solo riding in the country on my Q. Welcome recommendations on best safety flag--Amazon-based reviews suggest a lot of them are fairly cheap. Thanks in advance.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ever since the talks about the 3 foot passing law for cars vs bikes started years ago I had the idea of a flag pole extending 3 feet off my seat to deter cars from passing to closely. Since then I have seen several examples of my idea on the inner webs. I want to start commuting on my bike again but I need some kind of way to ward off cars in this single one mile segment. My thought is a 3foot poll extended off the back of the seat pan head rest area at a 30 deg upward angle. So the flag at the end will be a bit higher then my head but also extended 3 feet to my left. I'm hoping you guys will chime in with your mounting methods to give me some ideas on how to attach mine.

One major safety concern is if some a$$hole truck driver who doesn't care about the paint on his truck decides to buzz me anyways, how easily with the flag and pole break away. I don't want something attached that is so strong that when it gets pulled into a semi trucks front wheel I causes me to go swerving into his rear wheels.

Thoughts ideas?

It really sucks so much that all 4 pathways back into my town each have at least a single one mile long kill zone with numerous cars in both directions and zero shoulder.

BJ686

You may have seen this but there is a flag sold at the "takeyourlane" website that is designed to swing up or out depending on how you want to use it. Have never used one but have thought about it.

Will be interested to see what you end up doing.

1happyreader

zen/child method
I think we will be run over by inattentive drivers before a$$holes.
The odds are not in our favor.
Once lived a mile from work, only had a few blocks of no shoulder road.
chill ran down my spine when I realized the beaten path I walked next to the road was not made by pedestrians but by automobile tires that routinely ran off the paved surface.
later,,, bye

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
This was a topic at the retreat as well. There may be a cruzbike flag mount and flags in the future; it was not 100% clear on what direction Maria was taking it; but they (the Parkers) are now riding with flags ("to keep it fair to the uprights") and putting active thought into the subject.

One observation that was brought up; is that a "National" flag, works the best. So in the US fly the stars and stripes and you get more respect from a lot of people because they respect the flag.

Personally I want a banner that can be read from the cars that says "Live Streaming in Progress" just haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I have previously made a " " tent pole like flag pole. It worked great I used it on my Trike to ride out of town; and then I could pack it away in the painers for the country riding and then put it back up when I returned to the urban areas.

The shock cord version cost me $26 to make. Should be able to handle V20 speeds as it works on my 60mph trike descents.

Parts list
https://www.dropbox.com/s/as90se6h7a9tqsf/Flag Parts.xlsx?dl=0

Source:
http://goodwinds.com/fiberglass.html

image.jpg

Attachments

• Flag Parts.zip
    33.4 KB · Views: 1

BJ686

I have previously made a " " tent pole like flag pole. It worked great I used it on my Trike to ride out of town; and then I could pack it away in the painers for the country riding and then put it back up when I returned to the urban areas

I like the idea of a flag that can only be used when needed...may give this a try. Will also be interested to see what Cruzbike comes out with. I had noticed in the most recent "Ride a Century" entry that Maria mentions using a flag now. Would be interested to know how it is attached to the V20.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
3 feet please.JPG

I think double flags flared out 30 degrees would be better, then it suits ALL countries!
THE ACA (American Cycling Association) triangles are also VERY visible from a long distance.

I often think about a fishing rod with a carbide tip for those cars who ignore safe passing distance. As Jason stated, a pull-off design should be included for safety. It should also have a swivel mechanism to swing it up when not needed.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The trouble with flags is that they reduce your aerodynamics. Of course a little drag is less important then safety.

Three benefits:
1) It's a training aid
2) It makes them think you are slow
3) Just think how the guy you pass feels when you are flying a flag.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The trouble with flags is that they reduce your aerodynamics. Of course a little drag is less important then safety.

:lol the people I ride with will see the one flag and ask if I wouldn't mind 6 more. I bit of air drag is the least on my concerns right now but for those with less power to spare could argue otherwise.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
DSCN2367.jpg

Is this flag large enough, and how many extra watts would be required to cruise at 30 kph(19 mph) ?

would this spinning flag actually be more visable
Spinner%202014%20JPG_270x205.jpg

http://www.rockymountainrecumbents.com/rmr/product/spinner.html

PeteClark

For many years I fantasized about attaching a can of spray paint, extended one meter to the left of my DF's seat, with the nozzle pointed away from my bike and a stick attached to the spray button, so that if a car brushed the stick the car would be well marked.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
For many years I fantasized about attaching a can of spray paint, extended one meter to the left of my DF's seat, with the nozzle pointed away from my bike and a stick attached to the spray button, so that if a car brushed the stick the car would be well marked.
You would need to hide the spray can in a double side flag!

You would need to pull it in for Bike paths, otherwise pedestrians would get painted UNLESS the paths in USA are much wider than Aussy ones!