What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

BentSk8r

That's one of the questions I asked him at the time.
It is the Radical Design solo racer.
He slid it over the seat, on top of the Ventist pad so it looks easy to put on and take off.
I think it is this one (but I'm not sure if it was the narrow or wide version):

Bought those Radical Design solo racer panniers ten years ago to put on my Fujin SL II carbon seat. They do indeed just slip on and off easily and are the narrow version, though at the time I think there was just the one version.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Just a quick spin today, I almost failed to get out the door which would have led to me lounging around all day doing nothing productive aside from maybe finishing my race report from last weeks race. I'm ether totally lazy or whatever is the opposite of lazy, never anything between :lol

I passed so many people on the climbs today I started to wonder how many of them think my bike is E-assist :rolleyes:

https://www.relive.cc/view/914544664

I participated in a local ride (26 Mar) Pedal and Play in Paradise, Punta Gorda, Fl. The weather was fantastic. The local bike mechanic said he has just built a S30 for someone. He also said he had never seen so many pieces and parts. The ride also had 2 Encores and 3 velomobiles and 2 trikes. Maybe more, but that is what I saw. Had a great time smiling my way through the ride and telling everyone about the great bike I ride.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Almost completed my "V2/k Cruzer". Received a 17t freewheel for the Sturmey-Archer S3X and was pleasantly surprised to find disassembly and reassembly to be a piece of cake. LBS provided a pair of Schwalbe "Big Apple" tires for the 26" rims. They went on without much fuss. Put about 60psi in and they're very comfy. As I was simply pulling old parts off of my old 'conversion' and xfering them to the V2/k donor frame, most of this assembly was routine/easy. I decided to KISS and just get the bike up and rideable before attempting to mod the top-tube, etc., ala @Emeljay. As the donor was originally a fixie with only a front brake, I haven't installed a rear brake...yet. I do intend to do that...need to find the other half of the rear v-brake.

I took her out for a little 30 min jaunt on the MUT and she performed as designed. Nothing spectacular, just simple fun. The SA gearing is almost perfect for cruzing the MUT, not fast but comfortable. Shifting is not perfect...but it is a new unit and needs to be broken in. Getting it to downshift means taking a bit of pressure off the pedals (or stop rotating altogether), just a bit then 'snick' and she's in gear again. Those Big Apple tires are confidence builders in the gravel and for short 'off asphalt' excursions.

Here are some pix:

Attachments

• V2 k Cruzer.jpg
    V2 k Cruzer.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 54
  • V2 k left side.jpg
    V2 k left side.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Drive train.jpg
    Drive train.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 53
  • KISS cockpit.jpg
    KISS cockpit.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Sturmey Archer hub.jpg
    Sturmey Archer hub.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Bill K

Guru
Enjoyed meeting you, Bill. Catching up used up about all the "fast" I had but it was worth it to make personal contact with another member of the Tribe. Feels like I'm finally becoming worthy of Gary's beautifully built up steed.
Eric,
You should post what you told me about cutting carbs and weight loss per Ratz's many posts.
Gotta keep Ratz motivated to keep doing what he has been doing.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Bought those Radical Design solo racer panniers ten years ago to put on my Fujin SL II carbon seat. They do indeed just slip on and off easily and are the narrow version, though at the time I think there was just the one version.

How do you keep them from rubbing the tires?

hoyden

Took Silvio out into the wild for the first time in 2017; a little 27 mile ride. I hadn't anticipated that transitioning from rollers to road would be challenging. After a few miles I clipped in but it'll take a few more trips to get my slow speed turning skills back.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The width of the seat plus the fact that the bags hang over the stays keeps them from swinging into the tire. I had no success posting a photo from Google Photos (content not allowed).

Make a picture < 2mb and you can just drag and drop into the edit box.

ccf

Guru
Just a quick spin today, I almost failed to get out the door which would have led to me lounging around all day doing nothing productive aside from maybe finishing my race report from last weeks race. I'm ether totally lazy or whatever is the opposite of lazy, never anything between :lol

I passed so many people on the climbs today I started to wonder how many of them think my bike is E-assist :rolleyes:

https://www.relive.cc/view/914544664

Looks like we crossed paths on Saturday. I was one of the Grizzly Peakers. No fenders on my bike, though.

PeteClark

Took my first fall at speed. I was reaching for a waterbottle, hit by a gust of wind, overcorrected, rear wheel washed out, down on my right side quicker than I could imagine. Held onto the bars and rode it into the cement. No damage to the bike (first check). Lost a layer of skin on my elbow, hip, and ankle... but much less than if I'd been on a DF!

I'm 6'4" and "The bigger they are, the harder they fall" has always bee a curse for me. Sitting closer to the pavement, and not leading with my head, are good things.

Last edited:
Took my first fall at speed. I was reaching for a waterbottle, hit by a gust of wind, overcorrected, rear wheel washed out, down on my right side quicker than I could imagine. Held onto the bars and rode it into the cement. No damage to the bike (first check). Lost a layer of skin on my elbow, hip, and ankle... but much less than if I'd been on a DF!

I'm 6'4" and "The bigger they are, the harder they fall" has always bee a curse for me. Sitting closer to the pavement, and not leading with my head, are good things.
Glad you are basically ok and hope you heal quickly. I was telling my sister earlier tonight that a fall from a bent is easier than going over the handlebar.

Glad you are ok I have often thought you would faire better falling from a bent. Luckily I have had relatively few falls, mostly whilst learning to ride and once trying to stay upright at the lights but always at slow speeds. I have had several accidents on my DF pre vendetta. I do wonder about the one where I tboned a van (that came across bike lane without looking) at 40km/h (45-50km/h if on V)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
"It lookth dangerouth. Thuppothe you thkid," they say to me.

"Why are you talking funny?" I ask.

"I went over my handlebarth a few yearth ago, and broke my teeth."

People who have gone over the bars are disqualified from asking if a recumbent bike is safe.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
"It lookth dangerouth. Thuppothe you thkid," they say to me.

"Why are you talking funny?" I ask.

"I went over my handlebarth a few yearth ago, and broke my teeth."

People who have gone over the bars are disqualified from asking if a recumbent bike is safe.
If you go over the handlebars, you have to land like an aeroplane.

I put it down to all the race swimming I did in my teens. Off the starting blocks.

The only trouble I had was +#%¥*{* sore ribs for 3 months.

So I speed on the V but on anything else 45 kph is enough

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I went over the bars twice on my Claud Butler. Such jolly fun!

I tboned a car on my Grasshopper. I was doing 35mph. Bottom of a hill. Broken elbow. The only damage to the bike was a broken chainwheel. The light, which is fixed under the B bracket, was not damaged. I dented the car and destroyed the wing-mirror.

BJ686

Today, I added the Giant Aero Water bottle and carbon cage under the boom (where it meets the handlebar). Thanks to Ratz for the idea as he has posted about using this product at that spot since the bottle is so thin compared to a normal bottle. Works great and does not interfere with the legs pedaling like I experienced with a normal bottle. Found it online for $40 instead of the normal $80 (at A Main Cycling). Also, you can buy extra bottles on ebay for $10...they are clear and unlabeled but look and fit exactly like the Giant bottle.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Yesterday I collected my wheels from the LBS who were trueing them, because I went through a big hole while going downhill. They said this will be the last time they can repair the back one. I think I should get new ones, but can't decide which.

Today the chain got caught between the cog and the spokes. I extricated it, but one link was twisted. I used the pliers to straighten it. How long before it breaks?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Yesterday I collected my wheels from the LBS who were trueing them, because I went through a big hole while going downhill. They said this will be the last time they can repair the back one. I think I should get new ones, but can't decide which.

Today the chain got caught between the cog and the spokes. I extricated it, but one link was twisted. I used the pliers to straighten it. How long before it breaks?

57.3 or 3hours and about 17 mins by my estimate.