What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Tacx Neo hack:
If you are using a Neo trainer and a Cruzbike with disk brakes, the disk brake caliper contacts the Neo housing so you have to unbolt the caliper each time you want to attach the bike.

You can swap the short and long legs on the Neo to fix this.

Here is the Neo with the cover removed:
View attachment 5938

To swap the short and long legs, carefully push out the pivot pin on each leg. Make sure there is no weight on the leg when you do this.
Then swap the legs and push the pivot pin back in. It can be tricky to re-insert the pin. Squeezing the latch removes spring tension and makes it easier.
Pushing the pivot pin back into place may also be done using a rubber mallet (the preferred solution?).
View attachment 5939

Re-install the plastic covers (all 30-something screws) and you are done. No more unbolting the caliper to put it on the trainer.
View attachment 5940
I like the idea, as it would also mean that the wide neo legs are NOT where I normal would place my feet when mounting or dismounting a Cruzbike!

nobrakes

Disassembled the boom today to find out why there's so much cracking and creaking going on. Headset was, to use one of my favourite words, quite shoogly :) Bolt was barely hand tight. New bike bedding in etc etc. Trying to put the boom back on to the headset was more fiddly than I thought it might be. Haven't managed out on the V for a couple of weeks due to weather so cant retest. Grrr. My Fuego is in the bike shop at the moment too. Suppose I could put the tandem on the trainer!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Tore apart my garmin vector 2 pedals down to the spindle bearings and refreshed the grease and replaced the broken pedal pod. Spend like 2 hours trying to get both pedal to read before realizing one of the tiny sensor pins was stuck down and needed a touch of help for it spring back out and properly contact the spindle.

Also found a pair of unused Rojo clamps in my tool box not sure if these are left over or if I meant to keep them for myself should I ever need to mount the stock headrest.

nobrakes

Tore apart my garmin vector 2 pedals down to the spindle bearings and refreshed the grease and replaced the broken pedal pod. Spend like 2 hours trying to get both pedal to read before realizing one of the tiny sensor pins was stuck down and needed a touch of help for it spring back out and properly contact the spindle.

Also found a pair of unused Rojo clamps in my tool box not sure if these are left over or if I meant to keep them for myself should I ever need to mount the stock headrest.

How free do the vector 2s spin? I got some vector 3s recently and they’re pretty stiff to spin by hand.

Bill K

Guru
Finished building my new S40.
The final pieces of the puzzle arrived yesterday: HED 650b rims laced to a SON dynohub and Rohloff hubs. With Compass 42mm tires.

If you have some patience and a bit of persistence you can run the dynohub wiring through the seat support tube:
S40Frame.jpg

The upper seat attachment "wings" are a good place to mount a pair of taillights:
S40Taillight.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
How free do the vector 2s spin? I got some vector 3s recently and they’re pretty stiff to spin by hand.

fresh pedals with spin rather slow is if they are turning through molasses but they should feel smooth and shouldn't be hard to turn, just slow. After they break in they will spin more freely and as they start wearing out they will spin very freely and begin to develop slop which is bad. 99% of rider don't service their pedals before it's too late and then end up buying new ones as a result. The idea is to service the pedals with fresh grease during that free spinning time before they develop play which will restart you at the "my pedal feel stiff stage again with the fresh grease". The service window is massive so it can be hard to say how many hours or miles but once every 1-3 years depending on how much you ride should be enough. I used a standard waterproof grease this time but I'm tempted to try some bike grease call slick honey that we use on suspension rebuilds because it's much less viscose and should alloy the pedals to turn easier initially. Slick honey being a lighter weight grease would mean the service interval would be cut in half if not more so it's a trade off.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Flat tyre in the wilds of Essex, so I took the wheel off and replaced the inner tube by the roadside. Front wheel. To my own amazement I got the wheel back on really easily, with the chain threaded correctly and all. In the freezing cold howling east wind.

I remember, years ago, I would pump up a flat and it would stay pumped for maybe half an hour, and I could ride it a bit and then pump it again. These days the air comes out as fast as I can pump it in. I haven't had a slow puncture for years. That is why I carry a spare tube. Have they changed the material in inner tubes?

McWheels

Off the long run
Couldn't say about materials, but I never remember them that way in the first place. Marathons have served me well though, notwithstanding the gunshot outside BBC Broadcasting House on the way to Lords for an ODI. Beading gave way, inner tube blew a 100psi bubble for a short time.

nobrakes

We have over 2 feet fallen in the past 2 days in the Borders. With the wind causing drifts I’ve had to dig a canyon through 3 feet of snow down the drive just to get out the house!

BA570697-FC36-4B40-8199-AD8CFA0AB264.jpeg

orind

I would be interested in that--
I live in Anchorage Alaska--the fat bike movement has reshaped bike shops and cycling up here--used to be ride in the summer ski in the winter--now it is bike and ski in the winter, and the bike shops do a fairly robust winter business (bikes, tires, clothing)--perhaps even more than summer since our winters are long. I have looked at the various fat trikes--I look at them and say--"if I ever can not ride my 2 wheel fat bike (a Trek Farley EX 8) then maybe"--but a fat cruzbike--yes! Now, my Farley is also my summer mountain bike (love full suspension fat) but a fat cruzbike would be fine on most of the trails I ride. My only request--build it around the 27.5 wheelset (less bounce than 26inch fat wheels). While 197mm has become the predominate standard for rear hub spacing, with the 27.5 wheels, 177 (170) would be fine as 27.5x4 seems to be plenty unless you want to slog through 6 inches of fresh powder.

nobrakes

After my blow out / crash a couple of months ago and subsequent endless snow (it's melted now but even more forecast for next week), I gave the V a bit of TLC and got it into my chosen Sportive configuration.

The Sram bar tape was mangled in the crash - it's been replaced with some Batman stealth tape (extra thick faux leather Lizard Skins, very comfortable).

The Garmin Vectors were replaced by Garmin but I decided not to risk them again so I'm keeping them for training. I have put a Power2Max NGEco spider powermeter on the V which is working out well. I figure it's less vulnerable than the pedals, which were not very robust.

I have also taken the race case off. I have come to the conclusion that for my current cycling plans, it's not going to work out, I need something I can reach into while cycling. I have put on an Axiom Granfondo H2O Seat Bag which fits the curve of the neck rest very nicely. It's big enough to stash a ton of food, castelli rain jacket, phone etc and can be unzipped while cycling to extract food as you ride.

I also wrapped a Velcro strap round the neck rest, added a couple of Velcro stick on strips to the back of an ICE VTX neck rest pad and stuck it on. Really comfy!

I've kept the fastback double century bags on. I can stash 4L of fluid in there for long rides. I should be self supported now for upwards of 100 mile rides without the need to stop at all.

Tour de Lauder in 4 weeks, assuming the snow clears in time. I had a blast last year at this sportive although I wasn't that fit, so I'm hoping to make a bit more of a statement in terms of finishing time this year. I'm a fair bit stronger and on a faster bike. We'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    661.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    998.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    905.5 KB · Views: 60