What I did Today to prepare for Sebring 2018

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ditto ken 5 hours saddle time. 1 break for 5 minutes to fix a bad master link on the chain. Keto/caffine powered effort

2018-01-13_20-03-16.png 2018-01-13_20-03-32.png 2018-01-13_20-05-54.png

AlexisBV

I have waxed my chain for the first time. It was an ordeal to do it for the first time. I expect the second time will be much easier. One surprise I had was the color of the wax when I was finished. During the waxing I noticed the wax turning from yellow to dark brown. I thought most of the color was coming from my new chain with all the cosmoline. My seasoned chain was the culprit of the dirty wax. I even dipped it twice hoping for additional cleaning. It sure was quiet when I started turning the pedals.

My wax is always black, even when new. I use the FrictionFacts recipe with molybdenum disulfide and teflon - supposedly better than just paraffin. And yes, all you hear after that is the sound of silence :)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry, just wanted to see if you were planning on wearing these new shoes at Sebring, and also generally what you thought of them and the mid-sole placement.
I have not had much time with the new shoes, although I did not notice any problems. Mostly because I have been fighting a really sore spot on my big left toe and I did not want "add" something else to the mix. Right now I am just praying my toe will be OK for Sebring. I will bring the shoes for a show and tell if anyone wants to see them

LarryOz

I rode a 4 1/2 hour workout today and watched the entire Sebring video from last year which worked out pretty good since the video is about 4:18 or so. It was an "endurance" ride averaging only .67 IT so certainly was not mimicking what I might "put-out" for a hard Century.
Here is the comparison of the first 101 miles of my 12-hour Sebring race last year with my workout today.
Last year I averaged 152watts and managed 23.6mph and HR=149bpm (I was not really a hard Century either - mostly a lot of goofing off until mile 90!)
My workout today I averaged 176watts with a "virtual" Zwift speed of 22.9mph and HR=129bpm (speed is obviously lower than I would be on my Vendetta and HR is low just because such a controlled environment). This time of year I may be able to hold 200watts for 4 hours if I am feeling good and fuel properly. That might be good for 24-25mph average depending of course on weather conditions.
We should have at least 6 Vendettas riding the Century this year, so I am hoping we can form a nice pace-line and average 25+ and leave everyone else in the dust!
Next Saturday I have a 4-hr ride - maybe I will crank it up a notch and see if I can keep it above 200watts for the duration. :eek::D:rolleyes:
Sebring2017-Centutry.JPG
Gasherbrum WO.JPG

CruzLike

Guru
Wow Larry, that is quite ambitious. Go for it.
Today I rode 5hrs. Believe it or not, I still did not complete the ride. I was blitzed when I finished. At hour 4, water wasn't interesting to me. I knew that was the beginning of the end.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I rode a 4 1/2 hour workout today and watched the entire Sebring video from last year which worked out pretty good since the video is about 4:18 or so. It was an "endurance" ride averaging only .67 IT so certainly was not mimicking what I might "put-out" for a hard Century.
Here is the comparison of the first 101 miles of my 12-hour Sebring race last year with my workout today.
Last year I averaged 152watts and managed 23.6mph and HR=149bpm (I was not really a hard Century either - mostly a lot of goofing off until mile 90!)
My workout today I averaged 176watts with a "virtual" Zwift speed of 22.9mph and HR=129bpm (speed is obviously lower than I would be on my Vendetta and HR is low just because such a controlled environment). This time of year I may be able to hold 200watts for 4 hours if I am feeling good and fuel properly. That might be good for 24-25mph average depending of course on weather conditions.
We should have at least 6 Vendettas riding the Century this year, so I am hoping we can form a nice pace-line and average 25+ and leave everyone else in the dust!
Next Saturday I have a 4-hr ride - maybe I will crank it up a notch and see if I can keep it above 200watts for the duration. :eek::D:rolleyes:
View attachment 6188
View attachment 6189
You are in great form and keep that toe healthy... I can see the Sebring KOM being broken this year.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master

Jeffrey Ritter

As a newbie, I really appreciate the information sharing going on. Zwift was essential to my recovery from a broken neck (when I was not allowed to ride outside for a year) and has continued as a valued training partner, including the ability to connect and chat with others. Went through a down period the last 3 months of 2017 but back at it; decided not to try Sebring but will do Calvin's in May. I welcome any other ideas for 2018 rides to include in my calendar, not just races, but good 100 mile centuries to enjoy riding strong. Thanks everyone.

LarryOz

Today I rode 5hrs. Believe it or not, I still did not complete the ride. I was blitzed when I finished. At hour 4, water wasn't interesting to me. I knew that was the beginning of the end.
Yes - when you do not want to take in water, then the writing is on the wall. The key is to keep fueling and replenishing water from the beginning, then that will not likely happen.

Can I be like Larry when I grow up?
You are too kind.
In reality I am just an old guy on a fast bike that trains pretty hard and fanatical. So, all you need to do is workout about 15 hours a week following and pretty standard training plan like what is in TrainerRoad and you will be right there with me. Well, that and maybe learning to ride with little stubby handlebars to make you more aero! :eek:

CruzLike

Guru
Yes - when you do not want to take in water, then the writing is on the wall. The key is to keep fueling and replenishing water from the beginning, then that will not likely happen.

Larry, my plan during competition is to have a Coke, V8 or a flavor packet to add to water. Something to taste and hydrate.

Today was a good day of training. It was a rest day.
Speaking of rest. About a week ago I thought my workouts were off. After a little Internet self diagnosis (can be kind of dangerous). I began a regiment of one a day men's vitamin and a Magnesium pill. I have also been sleeping an hour a day more to aid recovery. I think my muscles are feeling more normal. I plan to continue to sleep as much as a can. (8hrs)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well this sucks. We are tapping out from Sebring too. Works been a beast; and after 8 days of missed training and other up coming conflicts; we won't be making the trip down this years event fitness won't justify the week of travel, time away from the office and the expenses. So time to refocus on the shorter summer time events this year.

LarryOz

Well this sucks. We are tapping out from Sebring too. Works been a beast; and after 8 days of missed training and other up coming conflicts; we won't be making the trip down this years event fitness won't justify the week of travel, time away from the office and the expenses. So time to refocus on the shorter summer time events this year.
That is a real bummer Bob. (where am I gonna find another lead-out man!)
You guys might consider:
"Calvin's Challenge" in May - In Ohio so much closer for you. They have everything from Century to 24 hour.
"Mid-Atlantic" in August - This is NC about 6 hours East of me. They also have everything from Century to 24-hour -and flat as a pancake (~26 mile loop) - You can rack up some serious milage on this course.
I will be attending both of these events
Larry

LarryOz

Nope... not going there. There has to be a safer way. Buy a vendetta in titanium. :cruzbike:
It is not really as bad (or hard) as it looks. At last year's Cruzbike retreat Jim, Alvin and others rode my setup and liked it. Said they were surprised at how "balanced" it felt! I think one thing that helps the stability is that my arms and elbows are anchored to my torso. I am actually more twitchy and unstable with full drops.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
It is not really as bad (or hard) as it looks. At last year's Cruzbike retreat Jim, Alvin and others rode my setup and liked it. Said they were surprised at how "balanced" it felt! I think one thing that helps the stability is that my arms and elbows are anchored to my torso. I am actually more twitchy and unstable with full drops.
You almost took out Jim Parker in that video. Hate to see you more twitchy and unstable with full drops. </teasing you>