What is the recommended approach to use 700c wheels with the VK/2 frame?

BobD

I started the build this weekend, a real blast! And would like to use 700c wheels, because I have them AND what I really want to do is to prepare for a decision regarding whether the Silvio is the next road bike for me.

I have the frame together and a 700c wheel fits in the rear if you install it with minimal air....once filled no problema. I understand that this option is now present with #2 version.

I picked up a used Mtn bike fork that would have allowed for a 700c wheel to fit, but the forks were loaded with "protrusions" for brakes, etc. so I couldn't use it. Another Mtn bike fork did not have adequate clearance.

Can I assume that I a road fork will be fine? And if so, what road fork(s) is recommended?
What suggestions do you have if I want to use a road fork.

I found a few references in the Archives, but would welcome suggestions AND pics if possible!
Many thanks all,
Bob

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
If I were using 700C wheels

If I were using 700C wheels on the VK/2 frame, I would consider using Paul Motolite brakes on the rear and a Suntour Swingshock Fork. Yes, I realize the fork has a disc brake tab, but that could be easily remedied with a dremel, files and emory cloth.

swingshock-2.jpg height: 543px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; margin: 5px;
paul%20motolite%20brake%20red.jpg height: 225px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; margin: 5px;

BobD

Figuring it all out....

I appreciate your suggestions Andrew. Along with numerous other postings of yours, I think I may have come up with a resolution. And, if this doesn't work I will track down the Suntour shock you suggest.

My fork needed a bit of "surgery".....am heading down to work on it...."fingers crossed".
Thanks again!
Bob

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I can not wait to see the end

I can not wait to see the end result. I'm sure you have seen plenty of Doug's posts; he has done some amazing things with the Cruzbike conversion kit.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Here is a potential VK/2 rear

Here is a potential VK/2 rear suspension solution I stumbled across while reading a discussion about the swingshock fork on another forum:

http://www.pantourhub.com/products.html

http://www.pantourhub.com/movies/silver400new-zoom2x.html

This suspension hub looks kind of bizarre to me but perhaps it really works...

-Eric

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Apparently the Pantour hub

Apparently the Pantour hub has come up before in the cruzbike forums:

http://cruzbike.com/pantour-suspension-hub-hardtail-conversions

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I had a Pantour hub once

I once owned a Dahon Speed Pro with a Pantour hub. While it doesn't have a ton of travel, it definitely takes the edge off of rough pavement.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
We attempted to obtain Pantour hubs...

... for suspension research.

They currently appear to be made of Unobtanium.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Pantour Hubs

Doug,

You're telling me you couldn't make your own version? We've ALL seen what magic you can work with that fancy tool in your picture.