Which wheel size do you like best?

rfneep

I have the dual-chamber A5-RR1 on my Q559. It work's well, but I can't say it is significantly better than just using the single-chamber A5-RE. Either works fine for me. Either is significantly better than the OEM mechanical version.

Ray

bret

the 26 in tires are nominal 58-559 (Compass Rat Trap Pass).

I built wheels with Alex FR30 rims - 26" (559) and 23mm internal width, and today the shop tried Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard 50-559 tires (2.0x26").

The tires are too close to the cross-brace in the rear fork that carries the kickstand - less than 5mm at the tire apex. They showed me a mtb fork from the bin with a wear groove from a too-big tire and said "it will damage your fork". They suggest 1.9" or less but not 2.0".

Schwalbe doesn't appear to make anything between 50 & 47 (1.75"). The shop is looking into 1.8" touring tires - Contact IIRC.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I built wheels with Alex FR30 rims - 26" (559) and 23mm internal width, and today the shop tried Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard 50-559 tires (2.0x26").

The tires are too close to the cross-brace in the rear fork that carries the kickstand - less than 5mm at the tire apex. They showed me a mtb fork from the bin with a wear groove from a too-big tire and said "it will damage your fork". They suggest 1.9" or less but not 2.0".

Schwalbe doesn't appear to make anything between 50 & 47 (1.75"). The shop is looking into 1.8" touring tires - Contact IIRC.
I have run 700c*28 tyres on my Silvio V1, that required a bit of filing the rear and front fork tops to get a constant 2 mm clearance to the tyre top, with no problems on paved roads, but problems on wet gravel roads where stones can be picked up and jammed, which would require reversing to remove the stone, and lower the air pressure from 110 psi to 100 psi to reduce the tyre dia, as with Schwalbe tyres they vary a LOT with pressure changes.

If you weigh 90 kg., then the recommended tyre pressure is 30 psi, with 35 psi the min recommended by Schwalbe.
http://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf
What tyre pressure did the LBS pump the tyre up to when checking clearance? I bet it was the max of 70 psi, where the Outer dia would be at least 5 mm greater!

The schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS429 will have a lower profile, as no greenguard, and is 675 gms compared to 970 gms, so a saving of 600 gms, but less puncture protection, but a LOT faster as 6 speed rating compared to 4.5 speed rating !
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-supreme.html
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon.html

Last edited:

bret

I note the Schwalbe published characterizations, but I trust the results of https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...ondial-2016-vs-schwalbe-marathon-supreme-2016

Speed is not my priority, although it's close relatives efficiency and ease are high priorities for me. I'm happy if my ride works well and is easy to use, and I don't mind saving energy and going farther. For me, speed is fun, but not a goal.

Regardless, the Marathon Greenguard seems a good balance, as well as a good deal. I had a chat with the fellow at Solarbike (the electric bicycle shop that helped me mount the NuVinci hub) about this, and he thinks the other shop is being too conservative - the cross-member in the rear fork is beefy and not a bent section of sheet metal - it appears solid. He thinks I should put on the tires I want and let the metal wear the tread a little if there's even any actual contact at all. I might also take a half-round file to the cross-member to relieve it, although I'm not setting up to do that yet.

The supplier wrongly told the folks at Solarbike they couldn't get the Greenguards in 50-559, so I called around and found the other shop that could. The other will open again after the New Year and I'm likely to go back and tell them to put the tires on, inflate to 3 bar, and see what happens. They might also come up with an interesting alternative by then.