White Mountain Double Century and Final Race for the CA Triple Crown Stage Race

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Great write up. Loved the play with the word "crown".

Guess Derek is pretty sore after that ride!

Why not go pro and go after some race money and sponsorship?

Clearly you have your heart in the right place and have enough zest to manifest your dreams.

More and more people are riding, I can only see it as a win win for everyone.

I just hope that after Larry wins his race they don't do the same to him.

I don't think the establishment knows that riding a Vendetta can improve athleticism so much. I just love the joy it brings.

To be honest "If donuts work for you... Keep eating them".

Kudos,
David

Not sure I meant to play with the word crown, did I misspell it or use it wrong and not see?

What I am is a recreational cyclist that just happens to be faster then most. In order to go pro I'd need to start conventional style training like a pro and that would sap all the fun out of it. If I lived in a more mtb exciting area then I could possibly train like a pro on the dirt and still have fun but it don't live in a place like that.

I think Larry is smart enough to know what he's getting into but I think some of the people here are in for a surprise. If true pro caliber riders show up to that event and work together like they naturally would he's going to find himself at a loss of options. Race directors will usually rope at least a few pro level riders into coming out to legitimize his event and the prize money. I hope the stars line up and he wins though.

There's basically zero chance Derek would buy a Vendetta because as it stand there no incentive to do so. He still won the series via a rule change and now with the new rules a recumbent is no longer a threat. As egotistical as some road riders can be they don't seem to have a problem telling themselves a recumbent doesn't count so I still won. I don't know Derek beyond the few mins we've spoken on the bike so my reference isn't directed at him.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Retroactively changing the rules of an event because they didn't like the bike the winner rode. Lack of integrity, indeed. Or, as we say in the South, "that's just plain tacky. Bless their little hearts." (trust me, that's a severe insult) :mad::rolleyes:

Great job, Jason!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Please take your blood pressure medicine before reading the report please. I don't want to be responsible for any heart attacks.
LOL. My mother always said, "turn the other cheek".

I never had much satisfaction from that tactic. Frankly, I would give them both cheeks...:eek:

Macht nichts. Keep riding and keep reporting. Bless their hearts, indeed!

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Huge props for your Triple Crown win! Now if you could be kind enough to please confirm I have these statements correct.
1. You placed 5th, 1st, and 1st setting two course records on the California triple Crown courses in 2016.
2. The 200 mile Triple Crown courses are selected for there difficulty in climbing.
3. The overall winner is the lowest combined times of all three races in which you were that rider.
4. You made up 30 minutes on Derek on the last race in which you set a new course record even though this years course was several miles longer with more climbing.
5. After the final race the win was negated and you were stripped of the outright title because the rules committee feels riding a recumbent in a climbing race has an unfair advantage over diamond Frame bikes.
6. Recumbents are no longer welcome to compete head to head against DF's competition in the Triple Crown.

If I have these facts straight I see a new logo in the making.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
As I recall he showed up at the finish line in the 2nd race and nobody was there to officiate so he lost some time.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Huge props for your Triple Crown win! Now if you could be kind enough to please confirm I have these statements correct.
1. You placed 5th, 1st, and 1st setting two course records on the California triple Crown courses in 2016.
2. The 200 mile Triple Crown courses are selected for there difficulty in climbing.
3. The overall winner is the lowest combined times of all three races in which you were that rider.
4. You made up 30 minutes on Derek on the last race in which you set a new course record even though this years course was several miles longer with more climbing.
5. After the final race the win was negated and you were stripped of the outright title because the rules committee feels riding a recumbent in a climbing race has an unfair advantage over diamond Frame bikes.
6. Recumbents are no longer welcome to compete head to head against DF's competition in the Triple Crown.

Logo how a bout a new tagline.
V20 so fast up hill it was banned from competing with Diamond frame California's primer uphill bike race.

I just can't wait to see what all these DF elithests do when the non 3:1 TT bikes start showing up at these events. They are going to turn the tables up side down when Racer Boy on his 10K wonder bike from two years ago is smoked by a new 6k TT bike built to the new standards. When they start banning those the fun begins.

LMT

I think this about sums it up.

History in the making though if you ask me, give it some time and the name Perez will slowly work it's way up the echelon of recumbent cycling the same as Faure did all those years ago.

And in the future if any DF rider asks me about riding any hills on a recumbent bike I'll just say I'll ''Perez'' them. And when they ask me what I'm on about I'll recall the tale of a rider who conquered all and as a result of which the establishment s**t themselves and changed the rules. Ho Hum.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

#5 is incorrect as even thought the results of the event haven't been posted they should still have me in first with a new course record. It'll probably lost me on a recumbent like they did at the second race but that's ok. What they did was not strip me of first place, what they did was remove me from the men's class and give me a first place kudos award for being on a recumbent. So without me in the men's class everyone gets moved up one place.

#6 is a bit unclear because they did tell me I was unwelcome although 2 or 3 riders make it feel that way. Recumbents can still ride the triple crown but as to whether or they are going to fit into a class in the future is still unclear based on the info I got.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Mr Perez, you are in a great and honourable tradition. What happened to Faure on his Mochet?

Remember, we have nothing to fear but the UCI and the sky falling on our heads.

Bill K

Guru
#5 is incorrect as even thought the results of the event haven't been posted they should still have me in first with a new course record. It'll probably lost me on a recumbent like they did at the second race but that's ok. What they did was not strip me of first place, what they did was remove me from the men's class and give me a first place kudos award for being on a recumbent. So without me in the men's class everyone gets moved up one place.

Rojo, it's a big win in my book and well deserved.
The way I see it, they removed everyone else from the men's class, except for you.

If you like to rattle cages, ask for your money back. But I'm guessing that is not your style (which I like).

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Unbelievable! Can't say in words how angry this makes me. It's just plain not right and unjust to be singled out, because you won. Had you been me and come in, let me think, like 3rd :D:D:D, maybe this wouldn't be up for discussion.

Note: So they are glad to take your money, let you race the race, but foregot to tell you you can race but you can't win, we won't let you.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Unbelievable! Can't say in words how angry this makes me. It's just plain not right and unjust to be singled out, because you won. Had you been me and come in, let me think, like 3rd :D:D:D, maybe this wouldn't be up for discussion.

Yeah I wonder if finishing 2nd or third would have been a non issues. I'm sure 4th would have been a none issue because I wouldn't be stealing anyone award.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Yeah I wonder if finishing 2nd or third would have been a non issues. I'm sure 4th would have been a none issue because I wouldn't be stealing anyone award.
Keep in mind, you're not stealing anything, you worked for it, it's yours and they are trying to justify stealing it from you.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I'm sure everyone has seen where Chuck Bramwell head of the the California Triple Crown Double Century Series posted this on their facebook page. Basically it says Jason won the overall title but we're giving the title to the DF rider anyway. But wait! Read what Jim Cook, the organizer of the White Mountain Double, wrote on his ride site:

"This year's Final Stage was very interesting. Jason Perez controlled the Final Stage at the White Mountain Double by taking the leading pack out on ridiculously fast pace up to the base of White Mountain then allowing the pack to aggressively attack the 8K climbing on the first half of the course, and then pick them off before reaching the 5.5K of climbing on the backend. His hammer went in the final miles to set a new course record by 17 minutes (10:42).

While Derek Stedman appeared feeling the affects of the morning’s pace and the stress of being passed by Jason, he struggled to get to the finish line as fast as he could. Derek had 30 minutes Jason at the start of this stage, but was it enough. No one knew, Jason, Hugh Murphy, myself, and even Derek didn't knew until he got to the finish line. This was the most exciting moment I have seen in endurance cycling. All patiently waited to find out who was going have the fastest overall time, as the minutes pass by the intensity grew.

Derek rolls into the finish, his time is 11:20. 21 minutes off the old course and 39 minutes later than Jason's WMD finishing time. Jason wins the Stage Race by 9 minutes. It is historical moment, the first time in the history for the Stage Race a recumbent rider is faster than a standard rider. This has not even happened in the history of RAAM. Jason definitely had a plan of how he was going to win long before he rolled up to the start-line along the skills and training to make it happen. Congratulations Jason!!! You're amazing!"

Pretty impressive accolades I would say. Congratulations once again Jason.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
People personify their views of a person they don't know based on the options fed to them by others, it just kind of happens that way. I've never spoken with Chuck or met him in person so I don't know what kind of a man he is. I have every reason to think he's not that great of a guy after changing the rules but on the other hand I have a hard time believing the head of such a great group of cyclists good be all that bad person. Like always by understand how my subconscious views a person but can withhold my conscious opinion until I know the person better.
I'm sure he's felt the pressure from several members behind closed doors and that was what triggered his decision. I wonder if we had be friends before this all came about, if the end results would have been the same.

I didn't know Jim before the race but we spent a bit of time after I finished talking about random stuff over pizza. Your opinion and respect for some can change dramatically based on wether or not you know the person personally or only via word of mouth. I'm sure many people out there think I'm some beast or a racer who trains day and day out doing intervals up and down the same hill all day. Boy oh boy the disappointment those people must feel when they find a lazy chill donut eating pizza loving recreational rider just looking for a little fun and a challenge.