White Mountain Double Century and Final Race for the CA Triple Crown Stage Race

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'm sure many people out there think I'm some beast or a racer who trains day and day out doing intervals up and down the same hill all day. Boy oh boy the disappointment those people must feel when they find a lazy chill donut eating pizza loving recreational rider just looking for a little fun and a challenge.
It certainly pisses me off. I haven't had a doughnut* since January...:eek::D

*I still get pizza. Sure, it is 'carb free' pizza...any port in a storm!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I wonder if they'd make a special class if someone shows up with one of these new non-3:1 bikes. Might give Jason a run for him donuts

Reactions: LMT

ratz

what does the 3:1 mean?

It limits the wheel base and shape of the bike. It's measure from the end of the aero bars to the rear axle. It prevents you from designing bikes from the wheels out.

"The UCI code states that the ratio between the length and the width of equipment cannot exceed 3:1. This means that extreme aerodynamic tube shapes cannot be used in legal race bike frames, handlebars or other components and for years this rule has heavily influenced and restricted bike frame design."

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...g-aero-bike-design-281563#xd4vpCKDOUT1CeX4.99

The frame in the video gives some idea on how to make the V20 faster by making the frame an air foil between the wheels. Even just adding a 2in lower section that ran wheel to wheel would make the bike faster in theory.

Last edited:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
What Maria Parker wrote:

UPDATE:

Tuesday October 4, 2016

Chuck Bramwell showed himself to be a leader of character and reversed his decision. He has now awarded Jason Perez first place overall in the California Triple Crown Stage Race. Thank you Chuck, and thank you to those who are fighting with us to right these wrongs.

http://cruzbike.com/blog/2016/09/30/bicycle-bias-robs-victor-of-win/
Now that's is some very exciting news indeed. This has made my day.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I can't believe what a bit of collaboration does. Well done tribe!

LMT

I wonder if they'd make a special class if someone shows up with one of these new non-3:1 bikes. Might give Jason a run for him donuts

With a CDA of 0.226 (stop the vid at 0.45) I don't think this bike will, although the rider might.:p

Glad to see common sense has prevailed regarding the results and that we have moved on and up from Egg and Faure...

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
With a CDA of 0.226 (stop the vid at 0.45) I don't think this bike will, although the rider might.:p

Glad to see common sense has prevailed regarding the results and that we have moved on and up from Egg and Faure...
What's a typical Vendetta CDA estimate?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
What's a typical Vendetta CDA estimate?
This is from one of my recent tests: V20 @ 150 watts = CdA= 0.154, avg speed = 38.66 kph
but remember that a person's body size and position make up the lion's share of the CDa value, so it is VERY individual.
Best thing to do is to test your own setup.

Reactions: LMT

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Yeah but it's probably a safe guess that I land between those two numbers and I'm a lot more comfortable on the V.

Not only does that look uncomfortable it looks very dangerous. I use to get low on my DF bike when descending but that is ridiculous. Sudden stop could be painful.

ratz

Here's an interresting video of a df rider making his CdA lower to coast past other riders. I wonder how it would compare to the same rider on a V20. Certainly the V would be much more comfortable. :p
http://imgur.com/3eizJGT

Lol that thing is soo silly watch the other rides "ease" up and ghost pedal to make it look like he's actually faster. Still some good muscles there but that's anything but fast. That a got a lot of chuckles when it first appeared a few weeks ago. I don't get credit for debunking it; but once it was pointed out it was pretty obvious and thus even funnier.

ratz

It limits the wheel base and shape of the bike. It's measure from the end of the aero bars to the rear axle. It prevents you from designing bikes from the wheels out.

"The UCI code states that the ratio between the length and the width of equipment cannot exceed 3:1. This means that extreme aerodynamic tube shapes cannot be used in legal race bike frames, handlebars or other components and for years this rule has heavily influenced and restricted bike frame design."

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...g-aero-bike-design-281563#xd4vpCKDOUT1CeX4.99

The frame in the video gives some idea on how to make the V20 faster by making the frame an air foil between the wheels. Even just adding a 2in lower section that ran wheel to wheel would make the bike faster in theory.

As predicted the first non 3:1 bikes are already showing up.... If they can beat a V20 riding that more power to them because that's going to be 1 sore ass rider :eek:

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 20.46.13 PM.png

LMT

This is from one of my recent tests: V20 @ 150 watts = CdA= 0.154, avg speed = 38.66 kph
but remember that a person's body size and position make up the lion's share of the CDa value, so it is VERY individual.
Best thing to do is to test your own setup.

The above is about right, the figure I was thinking of in the earlier post was 0.155 which I got from a power data website, I forget which one.

LMT

As predicted the first non 3:1 bikes are already showing up.... If they can beat a V20 riding that more power to them because that's going to be 1 sore ass rider :eek:

View attachment 3505

Very nice, but at $15,000 I'd want something more from a bike other than going fast in a straight line, like being able to ride in London traffic on the commute into work, which I can do on the V20.:)

Interesting though, unfortunately here in the UK we don't have something like the UMCA which allows recumbents. The most famous timed TT over here would probably be the Mersey 24, which again does not allow recumbents but it'll interesting to see if anyone rocks up on one of these bikes, and what will happen if a new course record gets set.

Apollo

View attachment 3505
Some of the UCi-illegal triathlon speced bikes had frames with sections greater than 3:1 before these radical new generation bikes went on the market, they just looked much more conventional than the Andean or P5X. Recent models from Specialized and Felt are good examples.

The new extreme designs may have better streamlining at low yaw angles, but it's questionable if they're faster at higher angles or overall. Also important to note, both the Andean and P5X do not have a rim brake option, they are disc brake only. This confounds the whole premise of aerodynamic superiority touted by both Diamondback and Cervelo versus older offerings, kind of defeating the purpose. I looked extensively into both models and the R&D that went behind them before winter. If I was still into DFs these bikes might have some appeal, but there are many questions still left unanswered and I don't fully comprehend where the DF industry is heading with this niche market in the future.

Very nice, but at $15,000 I'd want something more from a bike other than going fast in a straight line, like being able to ride in London traffic on the commute into work, which I can do on the V20.:)
For $15,000, you can buy the fastest velomobile on earth and have money left over to do whatever you like with it. We're talking about human-powered speeds in excess of 80 kmh that can be achieved with the right rider and gearing. Sort of puts things into sharper focus.

Last edited: