Your Max Speed on a Cruzbike

chrisblessing

62 km/h on my folding conversion here in Kuala Lumpur. I dared not touch the brakes until I dropped below 25. And back in 2000, on my hand- built LWB USS I hit 93 km/h on an 8 mile decent out of Bisbee, Arizona. It was the bike's maiden, bare-metal voyage. MrSteve is right: my upright body makes a great sail.

quickbeam

Last weekend I got 32.6 mph (about 52 km/h, doing the math in my head) on my V2K/Sofrider. I think that's my best, haven't been really keeping track. Only have 250 miles on the Cruzbike so far, so I'm sure I'll be able to beat that. Trouble is, northern Illinois isn't really known for hills...

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
34.6 mph more important av. 19.6 for 21 miles on fifth ride without trying too hard. 105 miles total onV2x I'm slowly improving. Will riding quest hamper improvement on vendetta? Just wondering.

quickbeam

34.6 mph more important av. 19.6 for 21 miles on fifth ride without trying too hard. 105 miles total onV2x I'm slowly improving. Will riding quest hamper improvement on vendetta? Just wondering.
Wow. On my 5th ride I was scared to go past 18 mph. Although I was only doing more like 4-6 miles on a ride while getting used to it. Lots of circles and stuff.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Wow. On my 5th ride I was scared to go past 18 mph. Although I was only doing more like 4-6 miles on a ride while getting used to it. Lots of circles and stuff.
I've had a quest for a while and have a couple of hundred miles on it so I'm used to MBB somewhat. The vendetta only a few weeks and I'm learning. I mostly ride dfs and want to transition to the V.

quickbeam

Okay, that makes more sense. Apparently you're able to transition back and forth okay?
I've only ridden a DF a couple times since getting the CB, the 2nd time it took me a half block to get back into it without swerving on each stroke. Haven't ridden a DF in quite a while now.

I know this thread is about total max speeds, but today I tried an uphill that used to give me problems on my trike. On the CB I was able to go up at 13 mph (of course, a car was trailing me, so it gave me an extra incentive), so that's definitely a new max speed for me going up that hill.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Okay, that makes more sense. Apparently you're able to transition back and forth okay?
I've only ridden a DF a couple times since getting the CB, the 2nd time it took me a half block to get back into it without swerving on each stroke. Haven't ridden a DF in quite a while now.

I know this thread is about total max speeds, but today I tried an uphill that used to give me problems on my trike. On the CB I was able to go up at 13 mph (of course, a car was trailing me, so it gave me an extra incentive), so that's definitely a new max speed for me going up that hill.
Hope to get out tomorrow for 30+ miles maybe rojos speed record will be shattered lol. Actually I just hope to keep getting smoother and not shatter any bones. I know speed will come but right now I have to do group rides on df because I'm not steady enough on vendetta. Just need more miles I hope.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Yesterday I had quite a good ride, the weather was cooler than usual and not so much wind. There was a very interesting cloud formation too... You don't often appreciate those things on a DF.
I overtook a number of riders going up a 2% gradient. There was one guy 100m in front practicing with one leg clipped in. So I shot past him. I thought if this guy didn't chase me who would? I got my HR up to 160 and thought done and dusted. I saw in my mirror a big tractor that was catching me up. So I thought I would join the tractor as it's a bit pointless speeding up a hill on a vendetta. Sure enough that rider was behind the tractor. We both did about 36kph up that hill thanks to the tractor at around 130bpm. Then the tractor stopped to give way to traffic and the DF got the better of me.

"Until we meet again... Don't know where ... Don't know when... Some sunny day"

DavidCH

Yesterday I had quite a good ride, the weather was cooler than usual and not so much wind. There was a very interesting cloud formation too... You don't often appreciate those things on a DF.
I overtook a number of riders going up a 2% gradient. There was one guy 100m in front practicing with one leg clipped in. So I shot past him. I thought if this guy didn't chase me who would? I got my HR up to 160 and thought done and dusted. I saw in my mirror a big tractor that was catching me up. So I thought I would join the tractor as it's a bit pointless speeding up a hill on a vendetta. Sure enough that rider was behind the tractor. We both did about 36kph up that hill thanks to the tractor at around 130bpm. Then the tractor stopped to give way to traffic and the DF got the better of me.

"Until we meet again... Don't know where ... Don't know when... Some sunny day"
He only got the better of me as he was on the offside and could get past the tractor more easily. It seems if you get caught next to the kerb you are limited in the way you overtake.

DavidCH

54mph here.
I can see that going down a 10% is completely different to what I am use to. I was always impressed watching that video of you descending in that race in Portland. I think it is on YouTube, not sure how fast you were there; it certainly looked fast.

52.2mph (84kph) on Reynolds Parkway in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina this weekend. Most of the time riding in the mountains I had to keep the brakes on because this V20 falls fast and I don't know what lies ahead on the switch backs. But we hit this one section on new pavement with clear sight all the way down and up and I just let off the brakes. I never wanted disk brakes so much as I did this weekend.

Alan W Dolbeer

I know what you mean Doug Kline. Most of the time rim brakes are fine. But curvy mountain descents leave me wishing for disk brakes as well. Just waiting for the right time as it will be an expensive upgrade to replace brifters and wheelset. Also there are not too many disk brake specific carbon clincher rims around yet, particularly those optimized for wider 25mm tires. But it seems to me it is only a matter of time before we have more than one or two choices in that regard.

Also there are not too many disk brake specific carbon clincher rims around yet, particularly those optimized for wider 25mm tires.
I'm eyeing the TRP Hy/Rd brakes so I don't have to change the brifters. I've been using Boyd Altamont alloy wheels for a few years. My wife and I have 3 sets of those and they are very nice. I know their new Altamont disk version is optimized for 25mm tires. I *think* their 44mm carbon clinchers are optimized for 25mm also, but the website doesn't confirm that. Probably would have to email Boyd Johnson to clarify.