Zwift - Cruzbike Activities (races and group rides)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I don't mind the flat course races in fact I love them but I hate that we never get to race on the mountain. As for people avoiding the mountain during free rides? Well that is just the lame nature of those who care more about posting high mileage on their social media accounts like strava. You know it isn't because it's too hard because I suspect 90% of riders never adjust their simulation from the preset 50% or will just lower the setting to near zero when climbing the mountain.

It sucks but we may never see something on the scale of watopia mountain released into the game any time soon. Just more mini loops and group ride features.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Hmmmmm how about KISS America PM on the hilly route. 4 laps 4 all out efforts up the climbs so it'll break up into a small 6 person lead group right away that'll be hard to break away from because they'll chase down attacks with little hesitation. Hopefully I'll have there's and desire to be on the offensive for this one.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
just did one race but my aero power up failed to fire during the sprint, my hot key on my mouse became unsynced somehow, ended up 4th. going to try for one in 18 mins before heading into the shop to make more super secret bike trainer parts

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well that was different. Did my first zwift race on the new Trek Domane road bike and I felt a bit lackluster about my performance. It seems my peak 1-5 second power is a touch higher but my sustainability in that range is even lower than on the V20. My sustained pace seems good but during today's race our group of 3 riders did some rotations for about 15 miles so I think that brought down my total average power and is making my performance look weak. I want to say my HR was higher but I'll need more time to compare. The biggest issue is messaging and using power ups in game. I can put out some serious power in the V20 while keeping my finger over the power up button on my mouse when gripping with both hands to really put the power. On the DF bike once I want to start a sprint I can't take off my hands so power ups need to be triggered earlier and sometime too early. If another rider attacks early you need to quickly click to use you power up and quickly grab the bars to sprint. This takes only a second but that's a second to long and I saw my competition get away 15 meters up the road before I was able to hit my 15wkg and then it was just to late to reel him back in. I'm going to need to make a remote space bar button for the drops of my DF bike when zwifting.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
My disappointment in my performance was based mostly on my precived effort as well as well my 20 min power but of which weren't up to par. It was still better than my poorer V20 results in recent times so it's not terrible by any means. Forgetting to wear padded cycling shorts was also a mistake but one that didn't effect the race because I didn't realized until I was well into my cool down.

It seems I have a long way to ether strengthen my upper body or adjust the bike in order to produce similar power in the aero bars. I also find the position to be taxing on my back and neck after 45 mins strait. Good news is my wheels came in yesterday so I'll be able to get it on the open road and hopefully into a proper shop to get fitted to it in both the roadie position and TT position.

Next zwift race won't be till Thursday at best because I'll be camping at the shop doing innovation things. I wonder how this next idea of mine will work with the V vs DF.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Another odd thing last night was during my race my front tire crept off the stack of plywood under it. I thought maybe I was scooting they back while turning my bars slightly during the hard efforts up the climb or attacks. I didn't realize till this morning that the neo and my bike moved forward a one foot. I'm going to need to secure the neo with the DF like I did the V20. The one nice thing of the DF over a cruzbike is no matter how much the trainer scoots around on you, it doesn't effect you pedal stroke like when the neo twist on the V.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
https://mixer.com/CS_TriX

Yesterday's race is in his VOD not sure how to link directly to the exact video. Something I noticed watch these past two races through other riders streams. It seems like I'm the only one not hitting the inhaler before or after my races. My dad has one he uses before riding because he has legit sport induced asthma and says it helps him a ton. He's let some of my health fast friends try it for 5k 10k running races and they said it felt like they were cheating they could breath so well. I've never tried it because I'm the kind of person who will avoid pills and drugs at all cost unless I'm being kept up at night from pain. Tempted to try it out, you know the the sake of science ;)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Did you notice Casey's smirk in the starting pen when I noticed my new name. It's for those little moments that I use these funny names.

Jayrob

I have asthma, COPD, and Bronchiectasis. I have to use a nebulizer and sometimes my rescue inhaler. The rescue inhaler relives muscle spasms in and around your respiratory system. Using rescue inhalers without having asthma doesn't do a thing for you except give you a racing heart and the shakes. A person I knew a few years back died from using his rescue inhaler along with a super model. It was the old fashion inhaler, and they both got more than one dose at a time. Albuterol and the other medicine in rescue inhalers are not without very dangerous side effects. If I could live without them, I most definitely would. Use them for fun, no way!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I think the angle on your fence looks a bit odd, maybe try a more horizontal setup. By the way now that I'm back outside you'll be lucky to even catch a pumpkin sprint these days :lol

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Short version was it was crazy hot then my buddy who I was riding bonked at mile 100 so we waited at lunch awhile to get him ok again. I had to take an extra 5 mins at the following aid station because felt a bit sick after getting out of the chair. Then at mile 172 I doubled back to give Justin water I got from a homeowner only to find him just standing next to his bike staring across the river styx. Bummed junk from random cars passing by for about 30 mins until I got him back on the bike. Made it back after dark with only Justin's lights because I've never finish after dark and I didn't turn off my lights to save battery. I really took advantage of my aero bars and did a ton of pulling sometime for 10-20 miles in a single pull because everyone around me were dying in the heat. The bike was awesome but still 200 miles on a DF isn't easy and I suspect I need more then one DF ride of only 1 hour long before doing another 200 miler. You have to remember in the last 2 or so months I only rode the DF bike twice on zwift and once at lunch before just hammering out 200 mile day. I give more details in the other thread soon maybe.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Wise men of the East, who are Zwift experts!

I am looking at buying a Neo smart trainer after Interbike 2017, when HOPEFULLY the price will drop lower than the current $1750 AU.

I have been waiting for Watteam Powerbeat crank arm power meters to be available for MTB aluminium cranks, so hopefully my FSA Gossamer Mega Expo, that are 153 mm long, will work, but I think MTB versions are at least another 6 months away!

It has been the worst wet cold winter and spring in Adelaide, South Australia for years, with are Dams already at 96% full, so just a normal Newcastle winter! AND another 2 months of wind + rain on 13/14 days to look forward to!

I will be using a Window 7 64 bit PC, so will use an usb2 Ant+ dongle, + extension cable, and a wireless keyboard/mouse pad, and wireless headphones.

I will initially use Zwift to do 1/4 minute reps at 200/100 watts, until I build up my Wiggo/Froome legs, then start doing some races!

I used a recumbent exercise bike with a power meter, on site doing reps building up to 1.5 hours, with great success, when training for the 220 km Around the Bay in a Day ride!

I have a 32” (812 mm) TV/monitor at 9’6” (2.7 m) from my head when on the bike (Quest V1 with seat moved back so the same BB height above seat base, as there is no 100 mm chainstay extensions for a Quest, and seat recline(28 degrees), and drop bar height distance, as my Silvio V2.2)

Will it be big enough?

I have a 52” (1322 mm) 4 bladed ceiling fan directly over the bike, delivering up to 10,000 CFM @11.3 fps(280 m3/hr @3.5 m/sec) of air onto me.

Do I need a high velocity pedestal fan?

I was looking at using a 6 mm thick Flat topped Polypropylene carpet, with rubber backing, costing $30 from Bunnings, for 2.0 m*0.9 m, instead of a Wahoo Kicka mat at $100, for sweat catching and noise insulation.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ideal-diy-floors-2m-charcoal-flair-rubberback-indoor-carpet_p6620929

Is the Wahoo mat good as sound insulation, as the trainer will be in my office on a hardwood floor, with a son’s bedroom next door, through double folding doors?

Where and what height is a side table to mount the keyboard/mouse pad, etc?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
super slim, post: 138797, member: 97Dear Wise men of the East, who are Zwift experts!

I am looking at buying a Neo smart trainer after Interbike 2017, when HOPEFULLY the price will drop lower than the current $1750 AU.
Yahoo! Smart man, I can't wait for you to come on board.

I will be using a Window 7 64 bit PC, so will use an usb2 Ant+ dongle, + extension cable, and a wireless keyboard/mouse pad, and wireless headphones.
This will work just fine!

I will initially use Zwift to do 1/4 minute reps at 200/100 watts, until I build up my Wiggo/Froome legs, then start doing some races!
Phooey! Just go with Sagan legs and jump right into racing, more fun for the money.

I have a 32” (812 mm) TV/monitor at 9’6” (2.7 m) from my head when on the bike (Quest V1 with seat moved back so the same BB height above seat base, as there is no 100 mm chainstay extensions for a Quest, and seat recline(28 degrees), and drop bar height distance, as my Silvio V2.2)

Will it be big enough?
Yes it will be just fine, but they can never be too big

I have a 52” (1322 mm) 4 bladed ceiling fan directly over the bike, delivering up to 10,000 CFM @11.3 fps(280 m3/hr @3.5 m/sec) of air onto me.

Do I need a high velocity pedestal fan?
Probably, I do. It gets hot, very hot. A strong focussed blast is invaluable.

I was looking at using a 6 mm thick Flat topped Polypropylene carpet, with rubber backing, costing $30 from Bunnings, for 2.0 m*0.9 m, instead of a Wahoo Kicka mat at $100, for sweat catching and noise insulation.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ideal-diy-floors-2m-charcoal-flair-rubberback-indoor-carpet_p6620929
Should work but make sure it doesn't slide. The trainers will move. I have mine velcroed to the rubber mats.

Is the Wahoo mat good as sound insulation, as the trainer will be in my office on a hardwood floor, with a son’s bedroom next door, through double folding doors?
Neo is a great choice for noise, very quiet. He will hear you grunting more than the trainer.

Where and what height is a side table to mount the keyboard/mouse pad, etc?
I use fold up wooden tv trays beside the bikes. Also used for towels which are needed. Must be something better out there. I'm still looking. You didn't ask but a good mic and mic stand will round out your package very nicely.

The best I have done was 1.9 w/kg on a 5.6 km long 4.9% average grade, Norton Hill Climb, in 2009, when training for a ride across Tibet, and I am UNFIT now!!!
I want to get my Watts/kg close to that, before entering races and being embarrassed by being last by a large margin!

What make and model of fan blaster do you recommend?
Is it floor based or a pedestal fan?

Don1

Guru
check out shane millers recomendations for setup... he has a few separate levels and where to buy in aus....

Bill K

Guru
The "D" group rides are 1.0 w/kg to 2.2 w/kg. You should fit right in.
And they will kick you out (to the C group) when you get your Froome legs!

I have the Neo and it is nice and quiet, especially if you put it in your lowest gear when using erg mode (but you cannot use erg mode in group rides as far as I know).
The neo has a built-in power meter. You will not "need" the Watteam crank arm PM when using the Neo (but it is super nice to use the same PM both indoors and outdoors).

I use a Lasko "Wind Tunnel" fan. It's a floor model but I place it on a stand at body level.
It is fairly cheap and does an adequate job. It's best feature is 3-speed with wireless remote control. The remote control makes it easy to turn on and bump up the air flow as you get warmed up.