Zwift - Cruzbike Activities (races and group rides)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
250 lbs brings my ftp to 2.75w/kg. I'll race you on the epic mountain route but it'll be the full loop back to ocean blvd, none of this quiting at the top ;)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Last night was a hoot. With 400 meters to go there were 5 racers vying for the win. Three of them Cruzbikers.

What Hardy neglects is the part where Connie and Him got me at the line by 1 seconds But that's ok I'm sticking with my story that my Kickr was stuck and not adjusting during the race so I had to do a 70rpm TT at 220 watts to get my extra 30 lbs down the course.

Take aways as someone that ridden in Zwift but doesn't ride in Zwift all that often.
  • It was fun, the discord channel makes it more fun
  • There are A LOT more races than when I looked 1.5 years ago.
  • There are enough races and group rides that it's doesn't have to be "Appointment" TV which was always my complaint. Never know when I'm going to be on the bike committing to times is tough.
  • If you are in Zwift and doing stuff it's all "obvious" and "easy" if you are coming in cold it's a hot stinking mess to get it figured out. Can't get around that; I solve those problems for a living I know them when I see them.
The big barrier here is if you aren't motivate to race you probably won't go figure this out.
The ah ha, is that if you figure it out you probably will enjoy at least the group ride stuff, and the racing stuff suddenly becomes compelling.

What we need is a super short quick start guide that says do these steps with pictures; on how to do it.

Alas there really is nothing easy to find that that has it all in one place......

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
What Hardy neglects is the part where Connie and Him got me at the line by 1 seconds But that's ok I'm sticking with my story that my Kickr was stuck and not adjusting during the race so I had to do a 70rpm TT at 220 watts to get my extra 30 lbs down the course.

Take aways as someone that ridden in Zwift but doesn't ride in Zwift all that often.
  • It was fun, the discord channel makes it more fun
  • There are A LOT more races than when I looked 1.5 years ago.
  • There are enough races and group rides that it's doesn't have to be "Appointment" TV which was always my complaint. Never know when I'm going to be on the bike committing to times is tough.
  • If you are in Zwift and doing stuff it's all "obvious" and "easy" if you are coming in cold it's a hot stinking mess to get it figured out. Can't get around that; I solve those problems for a living I know them when I see them.
The big barrier here is if you aren't motivate to race you probably won't go figure this out.
The ah ha, is that if you figure it out you probably will enjoy at least the group ride stuff, and the racing stuff suddenly becomes compelling.

What we need is a super short quick start guide that says do these steps with pictures; on how to do it.

Alas there really is nothing easy to find that that has it all in one place......

Fixed

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok I'm going to probably do this group ride tonight: http://zwift.com/events/view/26359
It would be a good debug ride for people that want to try it out; it's only 1.5 w/kg and it's not a race.
I need the debugging time in zwift and it might be about the right time to call Jason and see how he's doing.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@trplay

You need a death grip for the final sprint. What I see in your video are bars tipped so far forward they can't be used effectively. Rotate those things up and back until she is gripping with palms and fingers with wrists completely strait and neutral. I'll try and get a similar video of me if I do a zwift race soon so you can compare how I use the bars. I still need to get that video that shows how much boom flex I claim I get when pushing 1000 watts as well.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Have any Zwifters chosen to build or install a trainer rocker plate such as this? https://zwiftblog.com/rockit-launcher/ Seems the same benefits would make sense for us.

waste of time and different axis to boot anyways. I built my rocker board 2 month ago for my DF bike and found the tilting is backward in the sense that when it should be tipping right for you current pedal stroke it's in fact tipping left. Tipping in the real world is a result of micro inputs into counter steering and not just leaning the bike over so a rocker plate doesn't do the same. I'm amazed no one picks up on it when they make these things and just quantifies it as feeling odd and you get used to it.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Ok the handlebars have been moved to limit the peripheral vision and create as much drag as possible. Good thing this isn't important when riding on a trainer. We'll try them out in the next few races and see if moving them gives a performance boost. Lots of data to compare it to.
handlebars1.png

Image does not appear.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Was tempted to drop in for an easy spin but I really need to keep off the bike and force myself to fully recover for another week no reason to rush. I'll be sure to drop in for an easy sub 200 watt spin through watopia some time next week.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Noticed in my strava feed that Marko finally did a zwift kiss race, which was exciting because he told me he didn't do them because he didn't like that hard 1hr efforts. The idea of getting to race against someone I know in real life would be cool especially someone faster than me. Sadly he entered the B class and only finished in the top 10, sounds odd right? Well that's because he ain't trying and you can see that in his HR and Power data. I'm pretty sure he averaged more watts in the first lap of the 24hr race then the 1hr zwift race.

When I jokingly called him out for sandbagging his response was "Jason, maybe in real life? On Zwift I am actually on the border between A & B, bit this is way more fun... and I can even scrap to a top 10 finish from time to time. ;) I'd rather keep my powder dry for real life racing."

I can't force him to enjoy the effort it takes to race at the front of the A's but it's a bit sad because he's one of only a few people I know in real life that have a zwift account and are faster then me. Another people who I saw on zwift recently was Derek Stedman, the young rider who I battle with for 2016 California triple crown. I know of several hateful DF riders who would love to see him kick my a$$ even in the virtual world.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm only faster then Marko while on a faster bike, that nothing to brag about. I have never gotten within 10% of his watts for any of the races we done together. Casey is a beast at the short zwift races and always someone I aim to beat but he's always that one step ahead of me as I am now. I doubt he could jump into a 24hr and outperform the likes of Marko and myself like we can jump into 1 hour races

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Wait I've never raced Marko on a mountain course, only on very flat races. I raced against Derek on the mountain courses and I don't see him as my greater, I think Derek and I would match up quite well on DF bikes or on zwift. Derek also road races so he has that short breakaway power I try so hard to avoid practicing :lol

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Nope that was this year and although part of the triple crown series(there's like 30 each year) it was not part of the stage race which is what I won last against Derek.

Solvang which you're referring too was indeed Marko drafting me for 198 miles of 200 while I did my best to average 210 watts for the event. Solvang is very flat in comparison with only 30-40% the amount of climbing compared to one of the qualifying stage races. He still managed to average like 30 watts more then me that whole ride and stayed with me while on his slower bike.